LumberJocks

2018 Layout and Marking Tool Swap

  • Advertise with us
Project by RichBolduc posted 11-10-2018 04:15 PM 746 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch

So these were my entries. They all came from the same chunk of Satinwood Burl. At first I was hoping to go with all damascus for the metals, but then I saw the prices and decided against it. While looking for the Damascus though, I had the burl cut in to rough sizes and threw it in the vacuum chamber for 3 days to to stabilize it with some Cactus Juice that i dyed black with Alumulite. This was my first time dying wood, and I’m fairly happy with how the black turned out. As with what seems like every swap, I end up buying new tools… This time it was a used ProMax drum sander. Once I got that going, I got the pieces to my desired thicknesses and turned a knob on the lathe. The metal used was chosen for it’s color to compliment the burl.

What I ended up making was a scribe knife, a center marking gauge and then a marking gauge.

The marking knife was my first time making knife scales, and i’m pretty happy with how it came out and pinned together. I wish I did a little more contouring on the handle, but I was running out of time.

The center finder is reemed to hold a #2 Ticonderoga pencil and I sent 4 boxes, but I hear they’ve already been claimed by Elroy’s kids. I used the same brass rods in this pieces as I used for the knife scale pinning.

The last piece is the marking gauge. Same burl as the others except this has a brass rod in it that was left over from the mallet swap. I tapped the end and it uses a round carbide lathe tool insert for the scribing in case it ever needs replacing. The knob has a brass screw in it and the body has a brass threaded insert to make sure that there are no issues with stripping threads.

All parts were sanded to 600 and then polished with a 3 stage buffing system using Tripoli (800-1200 grit), White Diamond (1600-2000) and then finished off with some carnauba wax.

I hope Elroy enjoys them and they help with his colonial style hand tool creations.





11 comments so far

View RichBolduc's profile

RichBolduc

514 posts in 315 days


#1 posted 11-10-2018 04:18 PM

This is how the color of the wood naturally, so you can see how the black dye stabilizing changed it.

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

1899 posts in 2547 days


#2 posted 11-10-2018 06:25 PM

Your wood treatment really makes an amazing burl. I’m always amazed by what you make and the process you use.

The knife, center marking gauge, and scribing gauge look great.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

View RichBolduc's profile

RichBolduc

514 posts in 315 days


#3 posted 11-10-2018 06:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words Earl. The stabilizing helps with the polishing too as it seems to fill voids.

Rich

View duckmilk's profile

duckmilk

3234 posts in 1523 days


#4 posted 11-10-2018 08:24 PM

Those are really nice Rich! The center finder is a useful tool. I have one but it is not as nice as yours (mine’s a twobafour with wood dowels). Well done!

-- "Duck and Bob would be out doin some farming with funny hats on." chrisstef

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

3596 posts in 2176 days


#5 posted 11-10-2018 10:51 PM

Very nice set buddy! That wood is awesome!

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

View HokieKen's profile

HokieKen

7051 posts in 1337 days


#6 posted 11-10-2018 11:29 PM

Excellent work Rich. All great user tools and well made! That stabilized burl is dead sexy too :-))

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View Bill Berklich's profile

Bill Berklich

476 posts in 587 days


#7 posted 11-11-2018 12:40 AM

Excellent tools. I really need to make a center finder like yours. I like the fact that a standard Ticonderoga fits.

-- Bill - Rochester MI

View Dave Polaschek's profile

Dave Polaschek

2827 posts in 781 days


#8 posted 11-11-2018 01:11 AM

And here I thought I was going to get away with just stabilizing wood this winter. Now I’m going to have to figure out how to dye it, too? It’s a beautiful set, Rich.

-- Dave - Minneapolis

View RichBolduc's profile

RichBolduc

514 posts in 315 days


#9 posted 11-11-2018 02:41 AM

Dying is pretty easy Dave. Of course different woods color differently. Stabilize it the same way just add some alumilite dye to the resin and let it sit longer. The longer it sits, the darker it should get

Rich

View GrantA's profile

GrantA

692 posts in 1606 days


#10 posted 11-11-2018 02:28 PM

Excellent work Rich they’re gorgeous!

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

12430 posts in 2579 days


#11 posted 11-13-2018 05:06 PM

Very nice Rich!

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com