|Project by Tommy||posted 01-20-2007 08:29 PM||4569 views||2 times favorited||16 comments|
I finished this on April 14. Many folks have written very gracious comments about the dovetails. Thanks, ironically, given that I’m figuring this out as I go, they turned out to be the easiest part. What drove me crazy was getting the lid right. Since the hinge isn’t external and the lid is heavy (although lighter than lid #1!), it was a bear.
One thing I pulled off (that isn’t visible) is that instead of screwing braces to the lid, I made a sliding dovetail for both and pegged it near the front of the lid with one 1/4 dowel.
As my grandmother would say, “There’s no rest for the weary.” I’ve already started prepping the lumber for daughter #2’s chest.
Pics from the whole project are at http://web.mac.com/tallen
I’m getting close to the “finish” line.
A few years ago, while reading a story on “hope chests” to my three girls, they asked if I’d make one for each of them. I naively said, “Sure, how hard could it be? It’s just a box.”
The truth: At the time, I barely knew the difference between an airplane and a hand-plane. I went to the library and happened upon a book by Krenov in which he said, among many other things, that he didn’t let his apprentices use power tools until they’d mastered the hand-tool that the former replaced. I thought, “Well if that’s good enough for them…”
That catapulted me into the world of “old-school” woodworking, antique stores, ebay and, of course, a garage that is full of tools and sans cars.
This chest, for my oldest daughter (turning 13 soon), is the result of about a year’s work (30 minutes at a time, when I could find the time) and about 2 years, before that, of late nights practicing dovetails (cut a pair, see where I screwed up, saw them off, start again…lather, rinse, repeat).
I’ll post a final pic, I “hope” soon.
-- "Will preach for wood."