|Project by HokieMojo||posted 11-13-2010 04:25 AM||5599 views||10 times favorited||9 comments|
This project was built a year ago for my dad and brothers. I saw a guitar stand here:”
I wanted to build something similar with my own take, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t do anything to improve on the design. I really liked everything about it so I just started drawing a template and got to work.
While I could knit pick a bunch of mistakes, I actually only made two big ones. The first was trying to squeeze every bit of material out of my boards as possible. I drew the parts on a board and cut them with my jigsaw (which broke about 75% through the cutting). Then I tried to join the parts after cutting the shapes. Next time I will join two rectangular blocks, join them, and then cut the rough shape. The final shaping was done using a pattern I drew on hardboard and then routed.
The second mistake I made was assuming that my families guitars were flat backed. Apparently, all three use some sort of curved back. I was going to attach rubber feet to hold the guitars without scratching, but the guitars kept sliding off. My family’s solution was to use the foam tape you see. Unfortunately, I think it takes away from the look, but at least they can use them. I’m ok with it if they are! (-:
I think the cool things about these are that I used dowel joints on the sides (as opposed to screws that I think were used on the original because of shipping constraints and home assembly being required) and I used spline joints to mate the base to the necks.
I made 3 stands. Two combined walnut and cherry. The other used walnut and tiger maple. Hope you enjoy looking.