|Project by Dan||posted 11-09-2010 11:58 PM||7284 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
This is the 3rd hand plane that I have completely restored. This one comes from a lot of 4 planes that I won off Ebay. I think I paid a total of 23 dollars for all 4 including shipping. Of the 4 planes two of them were old Stanley planes and the other two I had never heard of. This is one of the planes I had not heard of. I did some research and couldn’t find much on Trustworthy planes but it looked decent quality enough to restore. I had restored my first plane all by hand and it was quite the project so for this time around I decided to try EvapoRust. I had heard about EvapoRust from reading other restore projects on this site.
The first step I took was to take the plane apart and soak all the parts in the EvapoRust over night. Even with all the great reviews I was still a little unsure on how well it would really work. After a night of soaking I was pleased to see that it did indeed work really well. If I were to do over I would probably rinse clean and soak it another night but I decided to finish taking the rest of the rust off by hand.
I started with the base of the plane. I sanded it all down with various grits of emery paper, cleaned it up well and then repainted it. I just used Rust-Oliuem semi gloss black paint. I put 3 coats on it. I did primer it first also.
Next was the fun part! Sanding, polishing and buffing the remaining metal parts. I did most of this by hand but did have a lot of help from my Dremel tool. The Dremel tool with a pad attachment works great for the small parts. I used brass cleaner to clean and polish the brass screws. When the paint dried I sanded and polished the sides of the base by hand.
Next was the hardest and I do mean hardest part and that was sanding the old finish off the handle and knob. If anyone has a secret on how to do this easier please let me know. I think it would have been easier to just make new ones. I used a paint stripper but even after that it required a ton of sanding in order to get the old finish off. I used the dremel tool for some of it but that seemed to wanna take too much off. I ended up doing most all by hand. Once sanded down I finished it with a few coats of shellac.
I started working on the blade but it was pretty shot and probably not even worth the time. I plan on getting a good quality replacement blade and cap iron.
The last step was to flatten the sole which I did using emery paper on glass… Worked well.
Since I didn’t do anything with the blade I have not yet used this plane but I am happy with how well it looks now. If nothing else I will keep it on my mantel for display.
-- Dan - "Collector of Hand Planes"