|Project by eruby||posted 11-04-2010 03:09 AM||1390 views||0 times favorited||13 comments|
that my wife let me bring out of the basement, err shop.
This is obviously just a small cherry end-table. I took a class at a local community college a couple of years ago and this is the table that came out the other end. The first picture is how the table looks now. Pics 2 and 3 were taken shortly after the finish dried. Construction was straight forward. I used Mortise and (loose) tenons to join the aprons to the legs. I say loose not because I used dominoes or even biscuits. They were just poorly cut loose fitting tenons. I had to use epoxy to keep everything together, which has held up just fine. The finish is a homemade wiping varnish blend equal parts mineral spirits, poly, and BLO.
Things I learned on this project included:
Do not over clamp the panel glue up (still tend to do this)
Do not try and trim just a little more off the tenon at the table saw
It is much harder to scrape dried glue beads off after they have fully dried.
-- Eric - Baltimore MD