LumberJocks

Wipe Clean Memo Boards

  • Advertise with us
Project by Don Johnson posted 09-09-2018 11:20 AM 293 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

A friend asked me to make her a kitchen memo board, so I thought about framing piece of slate – rather like the one in our kitchen shown in picture 2. However, thinking that the chalk dust is a bit messy, I wondered about using some melamine board with wipe-off pens. I discovered that melamine does tend to get stained, but there is a special material that is actually designed for wipe-off applications. As I started to look for this material, I recalled that when our village hall was extended, the builders used a plastic material to line the walls of the kitchen, as it was washable and thus very hygienic. There had been some off-cuts left over when they finished, and I had grabbed them as ‘they might be useful’. I tested the sheets, and they worked very well with the wipe-off markers.

I initially intended to make standard picture frames to house the plastic sheet and a stiffening backer board, and was thinking about retaining pins or tags when I realised that the frame contents did not need to be replaceable, so I could just cut a groove to house them, so that’s what I did. When completed, rather than have a marker on a string, I found some aluminium extrusion to fit to the bottom of the frame to hold a marker, and completed a couple of frames in that way – picture 3.

I decided to make some more frames for sale at our village Christmas market, but had run out of aluminium extrusion. I came up with the idea of making the bottom part of the frame from a wider strip, and routing a groove in which a marker could rest and not fall out. I wondered how the mitred ends would look, sticking out from the rest of the frame – picture 4 – and thought that I might have to cut them off. However, they almost appear as a design feature so I left them alone. My wife thinks that the all-wood versions look much nicer than the ones with aluminium.

One problem with making the frames using a groove is that the boards have to be put in place during assembly. If the frame parts were pre-finished before assembly they would have to be super accurate, with no opportunity for final sanding or filling, which made that method out of the question for me. I therefore had to apply the finish of three coats of Danish Oil very carefully to avoid marking the plastic, and found the use of a small flat brush very helpful in this regard – picture 5. I also used an artists very soft brush to apply the rest of the Danish Oil rather than a rag as is my normal custom, and I did find that the oil went on very smoothly – but that might have been due to the fact that it was a brand-new tin of ‘Superior’ Danish Oil, rather that the rather sticky contents of the old tin that I had finally used up on my ACME bomb clock.

Later . . . . I forgot to mention earlier how disappointed I was when I saw for how little such boards were selling for on Amazon :-(

-- Don, Somerset UK, http://www.donjohnson24.co.uk





1 comment so far

View recycle1943's profile

recycle1943

2176 posts in 1740 days


#1 posted 09-09-2018 11:43 AM

very nice Don and will be a handy addition to most households.
btw – wives are almost always right, just ask one and I agree with yours on this

-- Dick, Malvern Ohio - my biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells my toys for what I told her I paid for them

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com