|Project by cathyb||posted 1230 days ago||1498 views||0 times favorited||19 comments|
The dresser and bedside stands where made of mahogany with domestic cherry drawers. The beveled edge presented a bit of a challenge, especially with an inset drawer configuration. I cut a groove in the beveled piece using a dado blade and the saw tilted to 45 degrees and a matching groove in the side panel to add a spline for stability- that made the assembly less scary. The toughest issue was the final gluing of the case, because it was hard to get a good position to add the clamps. In fact, there was a case where a helper would of been a blessing from God-but alas that didn’t happen. Somehow out of sheer anger, I pulled that thing together and got my clamps positioned and square. Honestly that was the biggest issue of the entire piece, from that point on it was make the drawers, add the drawers, clean up the feet, add the top and get a finish on. You know the drill…...
The finish is amber shellac with red mahogany Transtint dye to seal the wood followed by several coats of Minwax polyurethane sprayed with my LexAire HVLP gun.
The headboard is Hondurus mahogany with sapele. Gluing the slats in place was NOT fun. Since they only wanted a headboard, it was tricky to get the finish on it. After all it is rather large with small feet-sort of like a horse, come to think of it.
Tomorrow is delivery day and I am thrilled to finally escape from this bear with all my limbs intact….....
-- cathyb, Hawaii, www.cathyswoodworking.com