|Project by daruco||posted 10-27-2010 04:59 AM||1422 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
i made these humidors for myself and as Christmas presents for a friend and two family members who smoke. lots of lessons learned in the process. i had never made a box before, so that was the first challenge. but the biggest enigma was the finish. how does one finish a wooden box whose purpose is to be higher in humidity on the inside than on the outside…without it exploding? having experienced rather spectacular failures due to the incorrigible and inevitable movement of wood, this seemed entirely counterintuitive. it was this conundrum that led me to this site, where i found wonderful advice and encouragement, and so plowed ahead. as i’ve been working on this project, i’ve been exploring the LJ site, and am simply in awe of the craftsmanship on display here. these humidors are considerably better than they would have been thanks to the advice and examples posted here. and next time, they will be much better. so, thanks to all.
i made four. this one is cherry with a bookmatched maple top, splines and turned knobs. finish is danish oil and wipe on poly.
-- dave : vermont