|Project by HickoryHill||posted 2519 days ago||2665 views||8 times favorited||9 comments|
I built this stations for a couple of reasons;
- Needed a spot up and off the floor for my spindle sander.
- Storage for all my sanding supplies and tools.
- Much needed additional storage
I also took the opportunity to look into a couple different things;
- Oak and Cherry together.
- Inset doors fronts.
- A chance to use different finishes.
Well this is what I ended up with. For the most part it is an ok finish. I had a problem with squareness of the carcass, despite my best efforts. So I fudged the end results by marking the sides of the drawers with my compass like you would to mount a cabinet on an uneven wall. So I have a slight gap issue on the sides of the drawer fronts, but I omitted that photo (for my benefit).
At work we had some left over bits and pieces of 3/4 oak B-2 plywood, so that was used for a majority of the carcass assembly. The table top is 3/4 MDF with a laminate mounted on top. In the laminate top I epoxyed some recessed nuts so when I ran a bolt down through the holes in the OSS Sander, I had a place to secure it.
The drawers are 1/2 European Birch ply and I used a Frued Drawer lock bit on the fronts, another first for me. In the middle drawer, as you can see in the photo below I put a divider with some removable dividers to partition off for my 5” sanding discs. The bottom drawer has a couple kerfs in it incase I wanted to seperate something down there too. The drawer slides are K&V slides from Lowes as well as the drawer pulls.
The casters are 3.25” Colson casters from Great Lakes Caster. The front two are swivels with TOTAL LOCK brakes on it. They not only lock the wheel, but the swivel. I had rigid casters in the back but didn’t like the moveability of them so I replaced them with swivels as well.
Finish is a Watco Danish Oil (Natural). Three coats were applied to the outside, with the third being a sanding coat with 600 grit. I might throw a fourth on with sandpaper as it still has a slight fuzz to it in some spots.
Overall I think it turned out pretty good, despite some drawer front gap issues.
-- Jim, Michigan