|Project by twokidsnosleep||posted 1233 days ago||2798 views||4 times favorited||8 comments|
Ok I found these photos and will finally post a Kerfmaker.
I still have to do an end grain cutting board and what else to get my LJ merit badge??
My kerfmaker is made from exotic wood cut offs I got for $7. It works with a rare earth magnet on one side and a metal rail made out of nails on the other.
I love the look, finish and feel of this tool and though I find it less than useful, it was fun to make and finish. I should have been more precise with the nail placement to allow for finer adjustment.
It was also a lesson in seat of my pants modification to account for multiple screw ups that I will list:
1. It was intended to have a ‘traditional’ wing-nut and bolt fastening but I cut pieces too narrow so no bolt room
2. Had to inlay a pine strip filler to account for lack of offset for thickness and to allow the two halves to meet perfectly
3. Made a groove in opposite side to allow pine strip filler to run in and help hold the darn thing together
4. Stuck in a magnet to help hold two sides tight as friction wasn’t enough
5. As mentioned metal rail could have been better aligned and closer to allow low end fine adjust
It was quite comical facing the continued challenges I made for myself in creating this…a true comedy of errors. There were no formal plans, just a quick drawing made and I thought I could bang it out. Really do love the look of it though.
-- Scott "Some days you are the big dog, some days you are the fire hydrant"