|Project by tedpower||posted 10-23-2010 02:24 PM||10184 views||19 times favorited||23 comments|
This was my final project for school. Finding the dimensions for this chair was tough, i ended up finding rough overall dimensions and worked from there .I made a cardboard prototype for the whole thing and then poplar ones for pieces to see how it would work, and also to get angles and dimensions to where they looked good. I learned a ton from this build. Id never done bridle joints before or carved a seat or had to make a jig to drill all the spindle holes to match each others angle.
The seat i carved with a gouge and a mallet to get the rough shape, then used a grinder with 40 grit paper to smooth out the roughness, then sanded and scraped to final shape.
Walnut and maple with danish oil and wax for a finish.
EDIT* i forgot to mention this is a George Nakashima design notmy own in case anyone didn`t know this chair.i wanted todo a chair for my final because it was something different for me and i loved the challenge this presented.