LumberJocks

Bus stop shelter

  • Advertise with us
Project by Roccolino posted 08-03-2018 02:28 AM 777 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hello All,

This is a bus stop shelter designed by my wife and constructed by me. The project was a temporary structure to bring awareness to public transportation issues by local nonprofits. The final paint was done by local artist, Patch Whisky.

There were a number of challenges, but it came out well considering it was completely constructed on a gravel driveway. Leveling out to join the angles was a beast!

Thanks for looking.





7 comments so far

View swirt's profile

swirt

2883 posts in 3056 days


#1 posted 08-03-2018 03:07 AM

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to LumberJocks.

-- Galootish log blog, http://www.timberframe-tools.com

View JCamp's profile

JCamp

785 posts in 635 days


#2 posted 08-03-2018 09:25 AM

That’s pretty cool. If u build a bunch of them their won’t be any more public transportation issues tho. Lol.

-- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might

View ChrisK's profile

ChrisK

1983 posts in 3166 days


#3 posted 08-03-2018 10:40 AM

I agree pretty cool.

-- Chris K

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

5488 posts in 2493 days


#4 posted 08-04-2018 02:57 AM

Cool looking. Bet the neighbors wonder what you were up to.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View ChrisMc45's profile

ChrisMc45

101 posts in 2944 days


#5 posted 08-04-2018 07:01 PM

Fun non-standard angles, very cool. What material and how (hardware? spline? biscuit?) did you attach each section together?

View Roccolino's profile

Roccolino

6 posts in 16 days


#6 posted 08-05-2018 03:17 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind responses.

Now that there is no structure there to sit or have shade in, perhaps folks will complain enough to get something permanent. My wife wanted to design something that was distinctly not what you would see in Charleston SC, and so would stand out. The neighbors on that side of the property where we built this reside in a cemetery, so they were pretty quiet which I took as “supportive” ;) Due to the height, we had to rent a massive truck to deliver it on-site (a flatbed trailer would have been ideal, however).

@ChrisMc45:

The angles as you rotate around the project are: 113 degress from Deck to Panel A 90 degrees from Panel A to Panel B 157 degrees from Panel B to Panel C 117 degrees from Panel C to Panel D 140 degrees from Panel D to Panel E 103 degrees from Panel E back to the Deck

The panels are essentially torque boxes with .5” plywood on the outside, and .125” plywood on the inside. 2×4s make up the frame. The 2×4s were oriented to have the 3.5” flush to the panels to limit the profile. There is a face frame on the front and back of the structure, and intercostals between the face frames along the angled joints. I miter cut the face frame 2×4s and rip cut the intercostals at the angles. I used construction adhesive and exterior pan-head screws (essentially pocket screwed) to join the angles along the intercostals, and then the intercostals to the face frames, prior to assembling the plywood. I included a picture of the prototype of one of the joints. I also cut down steel joint plates to match the profile of the face frames since pocket screws would be ineffective (essentially going through the end grain). The pan head fasteners and construction adhesive were used for the bench portions as well, but not counterbored. Exterior flush deck screws were used for all other attachments (deck and panels to frames). The decking and any ground contact were all pressure treated. 4×4s ripped to the angles common to the deck and panels, were used to facilitate the interface between the panels and the deck. Gray deck stain was used as a base coat, and then spray painted by the local artist. Anchor ties were added just to keep hooligans from messing with it too much. We designed the structure to be able to withstand a man doing pull ups on it, and lasting about 5 months. The budget for this was a few hundred dollars in materials. The non-profit project was quoted to last 1 month, but they ended up asking us to keep it up another month and a half. Even with the massive rains, heat, and useage, it was a lot of hard work to demolish on site.

There are a number of things I would do differently now that we have more tools, and workspace.

View mcoyfrog's profile

mcoyfrog

4252 posts in 3678 days


#7 posted 08-09-2018 05:44 PM

So kewl to be able to do public art, Great work

-- Wood and Glass they kick (well you know) Have a great day - Dug

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com