LumberJocks

Whoa Nelly, another rocking horse

  • Advertise with us
Project by trasner posted 10-22-2010 05:30 AM 1318 views 2 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this from the old U-bild rocking horse plan. I followed mostly from the plan with a few minor changes. I used clear piine with a walnut stain. I used Minwax Polyshades (stain and polyurethane all in one). It did not stain uniformally so I may sand and put one more coat on it. It was relatively easy, very solid, and fun to build. I am sure a future child will enjoy it and hopefully keep it as a family heirloom to pass down. Thanks for looking

-- Todd





7 comments so far

View lew's profile

lew

10034 posts in 2413 days


#1 posted 10-22-2010 05:32 AM

Nice Job!!

I have built several of these over the years. They are always a hit and yours will be no exception!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View TJ65's profile

TJ65

1354 posts in 1707 days


#2 posted 10-22-2010 08:21 AM

Thats nice, I am sure whoever gets it will love it.

-- Theresa, https://sites.google.com/site/tmj65treasure/

View jockmike2's profile

jockmike2

10635 posts in 2904 days


#3 posted 10-22-2010 09:46 PM

NICE ROCKER, YOU’RE RIGHT IT SHOULD BE A NICE FAMILY HEIRLOOM.

-- (You just have to please the man in the Mirror) Mike from Michigan -

View Skylark53's profile

Skylark53

2564 posts in 1717 days


#4 posted 10-23-2010 03:06 AM

I built one like this for my nephews a couple years ago. This past spring I put the head back on-no big deal. They are really having fun with it and yes, yours will likely be an heirloom. Be proud of this fine work.

-- Rick, Tennessee, John 3:16

View Vicki's profile

Vicki

938 posts in 2002 days


#5 posted 10-23-2010 05:51 PM

It looks beautiful. I like how you did the eyes. Are they 2 1/2 circles/balls? It’s my next project to do. My pattern is from last years Woodcraft mag.

-- Vicki on the Eastern Shore of MD

View Ted Pagels's profile

Ted Pagels

63 posts in 1719 days


#6 posted 10-25-2010 07:14 PM

Great project! I did one with the same plans about 27 years ago. What did you use for the tail and mane? Recently in dusting off ours from basement storage for the new grandkids, the tail and mane I had installed fell apart into thousands of tiny hairs. Mine was made out of polyester macrame cord at the time. Thought it would last longer than cotton mop heads….... Thanks!

-- Ted Pagels, Green Bay, WI

View trasner's profile

trasner

62 posts in 1564 days


#7 posted 10-25-2010 07:36 PM

Wow. I knew this was an older plan but I did not know it has been around that long. Anyway, I used standard yarn. I slightly burned/melted the ends so they will not unravel over time. However after 27 years, the same thing may happen.

-- Todd

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase