|Project by AttainableApex||posted 10-21-2010 08:46 AM||7060 views||8 times favorited||14 comments|
Well this was my second project over the summer.
It took about 2 weeks to do, and i learned a lot. If i had to sell it, it would be like over $2000.
When i was done there was 249 rivets, ya 249. So in the viewing window i added one extra rivet just to round it out to 250.
It works with an old vacuum i had and its ok.
I sealed up every thing with foil tape, on the duct and the rest of the saw. Pictures
1. The viewing port, front of saw. You can see the extra support i built for the shelf above the duct.
2. Another front view, showing the piping. (also the switch for the vacuum, haven’t made a full install of it)
3. Full view of the front of the saw.
4. Before the full install, user view. Ya rust on the saw is gone now, fully gone, now its beautifully waxed, a week later i bought some boeshield t9 for something else and wish i had used it on the saw.
5. Opening of the viewing port. Everything lines up perfect and the miters to the front of the duct are spot on, to bad you can’t see them with the window on.
6. Rivet #250 Baby.
This is a pic from inside of the saw looking out after the second taping job i did to help with the flow of saw dust, with the viewing port on the right and the exit in the center. i really need a dust collector and get some 4in ducting going. but really i want to just make a shroud around the blade and it would be way more efficient.
Well there it is. This was one of the first items i built this summer. It came after making these 3 dollies for my jointer, router table, and this shelf unit. I wanted to do more and this was the first project that came up after finishing those. I got sick of picking up the saw dust real quick. after that, big changes. my garage went from storage to a woodworking shop.
The duct is pretty much the most anally built thing i have ever made. I have made one other thing with sheet metal and rivets. It was for my car, and guess what, it was radiator ducting. The duct for the saw doesn’t work right now to its full potential because of the crummy vacuum connected to it. But i think when i get a dust collector it will work much better. Even with the vacuum not really sucking all of the dust out, it keeps it all contained and im happy with it.
And to leave you with some pics of my garage now. All built by me, except the work bench. Everything pretty much on the table saw was replaced as well (side top and shelf).
-- Ben L