|Project by Chuck||posted 10-19-2010 02:47 PM||2761 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
My old store bought pizza peel developed a large crack a couple of months ago. I decided that it couldn’t be too difficult to make (I used the old one as the template for the new one). Made from Walnut and Sapele (maybe – not sure) that I had sitting around. It was a quick project to complete, but I let it sit around for a couple of months after the glue-up prior to cutting the shape and sanding the edges.
I did (re) learn a couple of things with this project. I was taking 4/4 stock down to less than 1/2” thick. The boards warped when they were planed to that thickness. I think I should thin the boards in steps, and let the wood adjust (and re-flatten) as I get it closer to final thickness.
I still have trouble flattening boards by hand (when they are too wide for the jointer), but I suspect that will get easier with practice.
-- Chuck, Preston CT, http://www.curtishome.net/