|Project by Ben||posted 10-19-2010 05:43 AM||1105 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
Officially the first piece of furniture I’ve ever made. Inspired by a few photos online of antique “Emperor style” library tables. I saw one converted to a coffee table and somehow quite liked it.
Started by building the apron. Used whacky wood around an MDF form I made. Then veneered the outside using heatlock and the iron-on method.
Everything else is solid Sapele. Top is a 3-piece glue-up, bottom is one piece.
Feet cut on band saw. Columns hand turned on my lathe and installed with integral wedged tenons top and bottom.
I think I used just about every single tool I own to make this little sucker (not the nail gun, of course).
Currently has only one coat of Tung oil on it. Might do another or two depending on how it absorbs, and probably some poly on the top.
Thanks for looking. And thanks for the help way back when I first posted about all the apron questions.