|Project by JJohnston||posted 10-19-2010 02:44 AM||2383 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
This project was inspired by Ken Waller’s “Artillery Shell Lamps” :
I have an old 57mm antitank cannon round with an unfired projectile (sans explosive). The brass was badly tarnished, and without the fuse and explosive, the projectile had a large, unsightly cavity in the tip, and a very truncated appearance. I used the lathe first to clean up and polish the brass, then to turn a new dummy fuse out of soft maple. I searched the internet to try to determine what color an original fuse would be, but no luck – mainly because so many of the pictures from this round’s time (WWII) are black and white. I arbitrarily chose a metallic copper spray paint. The upper section of the shank is slightly bigger than the lower; it’s sized to lightly engage the threads in the projectile so it screws in just tight enough to stay. The last picture is the “before” shot.
-- "Sometimes even now, when I'm feeling lonely and beat, I drift back in time, and I find my feet...Down on Main Street." - Bob Seger