|Project by NBeener||posted 10-17-2010 08:14 AM||2984 views||2 times favorited||30 comments|
Technically, it’s just about’ finished.
May get one more coat of spar varnish. May get 600 grit wet-sanded. May get paste wax applied. May get nothing more, in the finishing department.
AND … the 1/4” baltic birch ply that I used as backer did NOT take the stain well, so I’ll either re-do it, or replace it with a pine backer, either T&G or half-lap.
Meanwhile, I’m calling it done enough for pics :-)
There’s a pine beetle that’s laying waste to many of our forests, in the Rockies, creating a huge fire hazard of dead fall.
A few miles from me, I found a lumber yard that deals mostly in this beetle-kill pine. A few months back, I bought some boards.
WOOD Magazine had this piece in a recent issue. It caught my eye. So … from rough stock to this bad boy.
- a 2:1 mix of denatured alcohol and SealCoat
- a flood coat of Watco Danish Oil, “Light Walnut” color
- Man o’ War satin spar varnish—two coats so far—only on the shelves and the exterior of the side panels.
The drawer box is dadoes and rabbets.
The top is fastened on with Figure 8 fasteners, in a countersunk 1/8” deep x 1-3/4” Forstner bit-created well.
The shelves are in with #20 biscuits.
The upper panel is a “hidden” drawer. It’s a good tight fit, and with no handle, so there’s a 1-1/4” hole in the backer board through which you shove the drawer forward. The drawer is bb ply with the pine false front.
The false tenons and wedges … finally … were made from the same pine. The wedges had enough of a distinctive look about them that I thought they stood out, appropriately, from the rest.
The top has a chamfer around its bottom edge. All the angled cuts are done at 3*.
And … for pine … the sucker IS rather heavy !
I think the wood has a lot of character. I think there’s the face of an old man in one of the sides ;-)
Thanks for looking :-)
-- -- Neil