|Project by Napaman||posted 1247 days ago||1155 views||0 times favorited||15 comments|
While “overdue” gifts may be my style…Overdue pens are not some new style you have never heard of…This weekend I finally finished a set of three long overdue pens that friends had requested and although long overdue they turned out pretty nice.
The bright red pen is for my friend and neighbor Jonnie. One day, a long time ago, he was with me in my shop when he spotted the red pen blank. From that day I had always planned on making it for him. Recently Jonnie mentioned that they may move—-and the first thought that came to me was that I better get to that pen! I made it last weekend and it was my first pen in quite a while—unfortunately I bunged it up a bit (sorry Jonnie!)...I took a chunk out that is now hidden by the pen clip. But the color in person is still really nice…
The other two pens are for the daughters of a colleague and friend at my school. Last winter I made he and his son (Ryan) a pen for Christmas…
I made Ryan an acrylic pen…and when he took it home his little sister and wanted one too! I put the pens on my gift list—-which seems to be long since I try to make most of my stuff for other people…when I made the pen for Jonnie I decided it would be nice to finally do the series all at once. That weekend I bought the girls’ blanks new (they are not the original ones their dad had picked) so that I could try a new style…
So far I had only made 7mm Slimline Pens…but always wanted to try a more sophisticated pen…I bought pre-drilled and prepped blanks so that I could do them faster and get to them this week…I highly recommend pre-drilled/prepped blanks!!! They are a bit more expensive…but it made it a lot easier to get to them.
The girls’ pens are both European Pen sets. They use 7mm tubes but one is longer so that a tenon can be cut into them for the middle ring. Both tenons came out well…had to take them on and off the lathe several times to be sure all the parts would fit and they came out well!
I sanded all of them to 600 and then used friction polish.
-- Matt--Proud LJ since 2007