|Project by Mark A. DeCou||posted 10-15-2010 05:06 PM||5266 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
This six (6) piece Steak Knife Set was commissioned and has been sold.
If you would like something similar, please email me at:
email@example.com for more information.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -Specs:
- Blades: Stainless Steel Damascus, 33 layers
- Handles: Upper Tines from trophy sized Kansas Elk Shed Antlers,
- End Cap: Fossilized Walrus Ivory, legally purchased through David Warther’s store in Ohio.
- Box: Burled Walnut Veneer Lid, with black walnut sides with African Ebony corner keys and sculpted handle. The box lid veneer is matched on the inside of the box lid as well.
- Closure: Box is held shut by hidden neodymium magnets in the ebony box lid handle.
- Hinges: Antiqued Brass
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
A few years ago I did a couple of steak knife sets on a commission, and posted those photos and the project story here at lumberjocks.
Folks often do google searches for something special to be used for Steak Knives, and so I get quite a bit of interest and a lot of inquiries about custom steak knife sets….all due to lumberjocks.
This set was ordered by a family that lives on a sailing yacht, and so the box had a few special requirements…..here I’ll just let you read what I was told (paraphrasing),
”A walnut box, lined with leather, which will be a good cushion for the knives when bouncing around on the boat. The box should have a wood top; and I can envision the clean lines and beautiful, swirling pattern of a glowing black walnut lid, and it will invite people to touch it!—- and then, that most unexpected surprise inside, those gorgeous knives with blades bearing the unmistakable markings of Damascus steel. Wow!”
So, I took those instructions and went to work.
The knives are held in place on their leather covered cradles with a board that bolts down with two nuts made from brass and plated with nickle.
Thanks for looking,
If you like knives, here are some other LJ project postings of knives I have built:Damascus Steel Hunting Knives:
- Elk Antler with Turquoise Nugget Custom Knife
- Sitka Deer Antler & Turquoise Nugget Custom Knife
- Large Damascus Steel Blade Custom Knife with Antler, Turquoise and Brass
- Custom Hunting Knife with Elk Shed Antler Handle, Ivory, Scrimshaw, and Hand-forged Damascus Blade
- Custom Knife with Damascus Steel Blade & Whitetail Deer Shed Antler
- Custom Art Knives, set of three with Damascus Steel Blades and Scrimshaw artwork
- Elk Antler & Fossilized Walrus Six (6) Piece Steak Knife set in a box
- Elk Antler & Scrimshaw Steak Knives for the Gold Bar Dining Room in Las Vegas
- Deer Crown Antler Steak Knife Set and Box with Turquoise Inlay
- Custom Folding Knife with Zebra Wood, Abalone, and Scrimshaw Ready
- Custom Folding Knife: Elk Antler Handle, Turquoise Stone, Abalone, Nautical Scrimshaw Artwork
- Custom Folding Knife with Elk Naturally Shed Antler Handle
- Commemorative Bowie Knife with Whitetail Deer Shed Antler Handle for a Retiring Navy Seal Veteran
- A Young Soldier's Commemorative Hunting Knife, with Elk Antler Handle and Scrimshaw Artwork
- Custom Hunting Knife with Elk Naturally Shed Antler Handle
- Custom Deep Cut Skinner Hunting Knife with Elk Naturally Shed Antler Handle
- Skinning Knife, with Gut Hook, Elk Natural Shed Antler Handle
- Custom Knife; Frontier Bowie with Elk Naturally Shed Antler Handle
Here is my website page with knives:
Mark DeCou Studio Knife Page Website
(Note: All photos, project design, and text is protected by copyright 2007-2012 by the author M.A. DeCou, all rights reserved, no unauthorized use of this material in whole, or part is allowed without expressed written permission.)
Thanks for looking,
-- Mark DeCou - American Contemporary Craft Artisan - www.decoustudio.com