|Project by Alin Dobra||posted 12-08-2007 08:06 PM||2222 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
This is the goblet that I demoed in the video featured in my blog: http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/alindobra/blog/2719
I made the video last evening. It turns out that, since the wall thickness is just slightly more than 1/16, the goblet dried over night and I was able to finish the sanding (started at 180 and immediately finished) and to apply oil (still wet when photographed).
I made a number of mistakes (note to self: blame it on the video shooting) which are important to point out since they highlight the difficulty of making these things:
1. I lots part of the bark. I found most of it and re-glued it back but normally I have to be focused to “feel” when the bark is flying off and immediately start looking for it.
2. When going from 5/32 to 3/32 in thickness, I was paying more attention to the camera/cameraman than to the piece and, as a result, I destroyed the natural edge.This is the moment when you have to be “on the edge of the seat”. I need to move in very slowly and at a precise angle (which I did not).
3. The second most critical part of these goblets is finishing the lower part of the outside after the inside is finished. I mentioned in other postings that it is much easier to make the inside after the outside since you can see the outside with one eye. Since the stem needs to get towards 1/8”, I cannot finish completely the outside before finishing the inside. I have to do some “blind” turning which takes a lot of concentration. I managed to cut too much and the wall thickness is less than 1/64 in the lower part (towards the stem). It is a miracle that the goblet is still one piece.
Make sure you look at the video if you are curios how these things are turned.
-- -- Alin Dobra, Gainesville, Florida