|Project by Kerry||posted 10-14-2010 06:56 PM||1882 views||15 times favorited||13 comments|
I actually made this a few months back. It’s the same as the one I made earlier, but cherry and maple this time around. I wasn’t very happy with how the finish turned out on the top, so it’s been sitting in in a cupboard in my shop for a few months now. A few people I showed it to told me they couldn’t understand what bugged me, but I couldn’t bring myself to give it to anyone, and I couldn’t be bothered to redo it so there it sat. I heard recently that a former coworker was having a silent auction fundraiser for breast cancer so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get it out of my shop and do some good as well. I told him that the hinges cost me about $25 so if it went for less than that I don’t want to hear about it LOL.
In the picture of the lid you can see some yellow blotches (actually I think it looks worse in the picture than in person). What happened is that I had applied BLO and then WB poly after the BLo dried. I could still feel the inlay a bit (didn’t take enough care putting it in) so I decided to sand/scrape down the poly to level it but I didn’t have enough put on and went too far. I also went through the BLO in spots. I couldn’t sand all the poly off and start over because I was already starting to go through the inlay. So in the end I added some more poly, and rubbed it out, and then into the cupboard it went where I didn’t have to see it.
-- Alberta, Canada