|Project by 76winger||posted 1291 days ago||933 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
I’ve been orking on and off on these three bowls for a few months now and have finally put the finishing touches on them. Wall thicknesses mentioned are guesstimates, as I dont’ yet have calipers to make an accurate measurement, so I’m going by feel currently. I’ve been finishing with 5-6 coats of Formby’s Tung Oil finish, progressively sanding with finer paper following each coat, starting 150, then 240, the 320, then hand polishing with steel wool using 00, 000 and 0000 for the final buffing. This leaves mildly dull but very smoot finish, however the time lag between application of coats and drying and the time hand sanding/buffing from 320 on through the steel wool applications takes a LOT of time, so I need to work on a quicker way to get the smooth results I like (suggestions welcome). I finished these off prior to photographing with a coat of Minwax paste finishing wax, which gave them all a very nice shine considering the smooth surfaces they have.
In the front of the primary picture is a small “Mystery Wood” (more on this in a future post) pot about 5 1/4” dia. and 3 1/4 inches tall. The walls are about 3/8” thick If I can find a miniature leprechaun doll and some gold coins, I’ve got the perfect picture idea for this little fella!
The bowl to the left (and second and last individual pictures) is 1 half of a Box Elder log salvaged from a firewood pile. It’s 9” dia. by 3” tall and sports a double bead around the upper edge, slightly beveled sides, followed by a concave curve down to the base. The walls are around 1/4” on the beads and about 3/16” down the sides.
The 3rd bowl, in the right-rear (and pictured in the 3rd & 4th pictures) is from the other half of the above mention Box Elder log and thus a sister to the aforementioned bowl. It is 8 7/8” dia. by 3 1/4” high and has a smooth curve from the upper edge down to the base. Walls are 1/4” and taper out to about 3/8” on the bottom.
I decided photographing only the bowls and listing dimensions don’t do the viewer justice for trying to visualize the actual size of these. So my solution was to pick up a few artificial (but life-sized) pieces of fruit that can be used to provide a better size perspective to the bowls. Plus the color adds a little to the photo as well I believe.
I hope you like them, let me know what you think!
-- Dave, See some of my creations at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/76Winger