|Project by CampD||posted 10-10-2010 03:48 PM||3809 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
New laundry room remodel to go along with the 2nd floor bath remodel I posted this past spring. This is my own home and the total project took over 6 months to complete (well not complete yet still have to make the countertops and finish the trim paint, but this post is about the cabinets)
Cabinets are custom designed to fit the space and our storage needs and wants.
Cabinets were finished in July and have been sitting in my trailer till they were installed.
This is a cabinet design I have been working on and tweaking ever so little every time I build (mainly for ease of assembly). Doors and frames were painted seperate and then assembled (shown in 5th pic) I used for the first time, Home Depots “Behr Primium Plus Paint & Primer in one” For the final finish coat, It sprayed and layed out very nicely for a midgrade paint ( I’m happy with the results). Boxes were sprayed after box assemly.
Now! Cabinets frames and doors are poplar, full inset, mortise and tenon rails & stills with flat panels.
Cabinet boxes are 1/2” birch plywood with 2 coats of sprayed on oil poly. I went against my own better judgement and bought the plywood from Home Depot (ya I know, it was half the cost). Finish layers are fine but the core is soft and full of voids. It chips way to easy, I had pieces break and close to the edge dados the edge would break off, way more time fixing the problems, so never again!
Hinges and drawer slides are all soft close, boy I do love these and are worth the extra money.
Took my 2 week vaction to get it back into shape. I did have a running blog on the total project if any one is interested http://nicollcarpentry.blogspot.com/2010/07/7102010.html
and I will post more about the contruction process on “Home Refurbers page”
Enjoy!! I know the wife is VERY happy :)