LumberJocks

Banksia Vase

  • Advertise with us
Project by Dreggy posted 06-12-2018 12:55 AM 644 views 3 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This vase is made from Wenge, Ancient Kauri, Banksia pod with Turquoise Inlace.

-- No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you're still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying.





18 comments so far

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7437 posts in 2068 days


#1 posted 06-12-2018 01:11 AM

Awesome work.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

17563 posts in 3213 days


#2 posted 06-12-2018 01:26 AM

love it, well done

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

4574 posts in 2291 days


#3 posted 06-12-2018 01:31 AM

Gorgeous!

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

View Mrowell's profile

Mrowell

151 posts in 1164 days


#4 posted 06-12-2018 01:53 AM

Wow

-- Matt R

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

4843 posts in 2433 days


#5 posted 06-12-2018 02:06 AM

Amazing looking piece. The inlay turquoise really sets it off.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View chrisirving's profile

chrisirving

118 posts in 456 days


#6 posted 06-12-2018 02:30 AM

Excellent! What are the dimensions on it?

View NotaJock's profile

NotaJock

137 posts in 1124 days


#7 posted 06-12-2018 03:42 AM

I’m certainly impressed. That’s a beautiful piece.
I’m still at the space where I think I’m doing good to turn a chisel handle or a kids top.
I’d like to see a before and after of one of these segmented vase/urn/hollow ware.
Do you glue up all the layers then turn it or glue a few layers, turn, repeat?
Or is the answer going to be well it depends…
Thanks,
Mike

-- Mike in SoCal

View htl's profile

htl

3911 posts in 1184 days


#8 posted 06-12-2018 03:56 AM

Beautiful and so nicely done!

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View majuvla's profile

majuvla

12416 posts in 2892 days


#9 posted 06-12-2018 06:02 AM

Extraordinary colours and shape!

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

View BobWemm's profile

BobWemm

2470 posts in 1951 days


#10 posted 06-12-2018 08:50 AM

Very Impressive. Love the colour contrast.
Thank you for sharing.

Bob

-- Bob, Western Australia, The Sun came up this morning, what a great start to the day. Now it's up to me to make it even better. I've cut this piece of wood 4 times and it's still too damn short.

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

31378 posts in 2891 days


#11 posted 06-12-2018 11:18 AM

This vase is an outstanding piece and it displays a lot of fine craftsmanship. The wood and other materials are beautiful. It’s a wonderful eye catcher!

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View Dutchy's profile

Dutchy

2985 posts in 2193 days


#12 posted 06-12-2018 11:24 AM

View Julian's profile

Julian

1347 posts in 2715 days


#13 posted 06-12-2018 02:13 PM

Very nice. How big is it?

-- Julian

View Dreggy's profile

Dreggy

89 posts in 1629 days


#14 posted 06-12-2018 04:02 PM

Hi, & thanks for the comments!

It is 9 1/2” tall and 5 1/4” across.

My technique for vases is to build it in 2 halves so I have more room to finish the inside. I just leave the sections to be glued together a little wide so I can turn down and smooth out the glue joint.

-- No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you're still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying.

View Dreggy's profile

Dreggy

89 posts in 1629 days


#15 posted 06-12-2018 04:18 PM

The real challenge on this one was making segments out of the Banksia pods. I have segmented them before, but with great difficulty. This time I tried a new method.
I used 2 large Banksia pods. This time I cut the pods into squares using a bandsaw. I then split these squares into 3 slabs, which were about 2” wide and 5/8” thick. The 2 outside slabs had the most holes, so they were paired up for the main ring and the center slabs were paired up for the upper ring. I then glued them to a 2” X 1/4” x about 24” long piece of scrap I made for this purpose. The upper ring, I split the slabs in half lengthways since I only had 2 slabs, (I needed more length for another ring) and glued them to a 1” wide piece of scrap wood.
The glued up pieces were then cut into segments the traditional way. The scrap piece was turned completely away during the turning.

-- No matter how many mistakes you make or how slow your progress, you're still way ahead of everyone who isn't trying.

showing 1 through 15 of 18 comments

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com