|Project by SurfWood||posted 10-05-2010 at 07:12 AM||2675 views||1 time favorited||2 comments|
I finally finished the garage rolling cabinet that I have been working on for a long time. I built this rolling garage storage unit from plans I found online. This was one of the first projects that I have worked on that is a real piece of furniture including sanding and finishing. Up until now I have built lots of things but many are outdoor projects such as fences, chicken coops, arbors, etc. I quickly realized working on this project that I didn’t have very much experience sanding a project and applying a finish. But it was fun anyways.
The piece has two sides that have storage. The top half has shelves open to one side or the other. The bottom half has shelves that go all the way through from one end to the other. The piece is all red oak, with red oak plywood for all of the panels and solid red oak for the face frames. I also glued solid oak edging on the plywood for the shelves to give a nice finished look. I routed dadoes into the plywood on the sides and used some screws to clamp the plywood into the dadoes as it dried. I used pocket holes to hold the face frames together and then just glued the face frames to the cabinet. I was a little worried the face frames wouldn’t hold well without biscuits but they seem to be very solid. I drilled holes for the shelf pins using the Rockler Jig-It Template System which gave me consistent hole spacing.
I sanded everything down to 220 grit, then one coat of stain, followed by 3 coats of polyurethane. I chose polyurethane because I knew that this piece would take a lot of abuse in the garage. It took me a long time to apply the polyurethane because I didn’t want the drips that come with applying it on vertical surfaces. That meant I had to finish 5 sides (4 sides and the top) with 3 coats by turning the piece over and over. This whole process convinced me that I need a spray gun so I just ordered one. I got an Earlex Spray Station 5000 and I can’t wait to give it a try.
This was a pretty large piece in overall size and it has many shelves which meant that anything that I wasn’t very efficient at (ahem sanding…) was magnified into taking a very long time to complete. If I had to do it over again I would have chosen a much smaller project to take from start to finish and I would have had a chance to learn without so much time and effort.
I really like how this piece turned out and all the little screw ups that I had don’t matter too much since its in the garage! It was a great learning piece where I didn’t have to worry to much about getting things perfect.
-- Justin from Seattle, WA