|Project by miserybob||posted 10-02-2010 09:21 PM||1564 views||7 times favorited||12 comments|
I made these mirrors over the course of the past year or so. I just finished the black one today. These 4 mirrors are all prototypes – I’m just trying to perfect the technique and decide if it’s worth it to keep making them! They all have their (sometimes glaring) flaws, but they get better each time.
The brown one is walnut with yellow epoxy, the white one is hard maple with black epoxy, the orange one is (I think) paduak with black epoxy, and the black one is ebonized maple with white epoxy. (That is the order in which they were made, also… you can see them getting more complex as I go…)
All of them are a single piece of 7/8” x 3/4” x (about) 36”- 44” wood that has been kerf-sawn on the table saw so they can be easily bent. They are then clamped down, taped with duct tape and filled by a syringe with colored epoxy. Then it’s over to the router table to round them over and rabbet them for the mirror.
It’s a fun technique, but very time consuming!
Thanks for looking!