|Project by Rick||posted 09-29-2010 06:41 PM||8650 views||14 times favorited||44 comments|
This is a record cabinet I made for my best friend and his wife Allison. She had come to me 2 years ago with the desire to have me make a cabinet like this, which she had been dreaming about for some time. Some how the project fell through and I didn’t make it. So I decided to surprise them with it for their wedding.
It turned out that the best time to present it was at their rehearsal dinner. So I placed it in the restaurant with a table cloth covering it. When the time was right I pulled the cloth off to reveal their gift. Allison let out a deep gurgling sound of appreciation, if you can imagine it, and dropped to her knees. Apparently I hit the mark and it felt amazing.
- Wood: riftsawn walnut. 1/2” was the thickest riftsawn walnut I could find and by the time it was dimensioned it was 3/8”. Not ideal but riftsawn walnut is the only wood she wanted. She’s an architectural/interior designer. So it needed to be right.
- Joinery: dovetail for the top,bottom and sides. rabbit for the back panel
- Sliding door hardware: http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?c=&p=40162&cat=3,43614,43620
- Finish: 4 coats of deft danish oil. Many sprayed coats of water based gloss poly General Finish. Last 3 coats brushed on.
- Legs: Brushed stainless steel “hairpin” legs. http://hairpinlegs.com/category.php?id=1
- Door Pulls: http://www.knobsandhardware.com/SlidingDoor/Classic-Brass-Round-Flush-Pull-with_1355200.html#reviews
Here are 68 more photos of the construction and presentation: