LumberJocks

Motorcycle gear shelving

  • Advertise with us
Project by Pawky posted 1394 days ago 1105 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

My first project that I have to post here :) I start school back up tomorrow so I needed to finish it up. It incorporates two things I am really enjoying and that is motorcycles (I have a 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900) now getting more into the wood. It is located near the front entrance so it is convenient. I’ve done stuff around the house for fixing stuff up, building an overhang off the shed and stuff with some help from my dad as well, but this is the first for finer woodwork and I definitely learned a bit from it.

Anyways, I would love any critiques or suggestions from everyone. I will post just below this what my process was and I hope by doing so you all can help me learn more for the future, and hopefully anyone that comes by in the future may be able to pick something up as well. Thank you all!

—-
After drawing it out and getting the wood I cut everything to the necessary lengths. I used oak 1×3 and 1/2” dowels that go from 1 end to the other. The frame is 2’ wide by 1.5’ deep. All 4 butt joints have two 1/4” dowels each (definitely want a drill press…). I used a brad point bit to drill the holes for the 1/2” dowels so the bottom of the hole was more flat.

I then sanded everything with 120 sandpaper. I wiped it with a tack cloth and then stained it with minwax letting it sit on the wood for 10 minutes before wiping it off. After staining it and letting it dry, wiped it with the tack cloth, then coated it with wipe on poly. After it dried for 3 hours I used 220 sandpaper on it, tack cloth, another coat of poly, sanded with 220 again, tack cloth and another coat of poly. I then glued it all together with titebond III and clamped it and let it sit till the following morning when I sanded it with the 400 sandpaper, wiped it with the tack cloth and then put the final coat of poly on it (4th coat). Finally, I put the metal brackets on the top for hanging and hung it up.

One question I have for anyone is, would you recommend staining/finishing before or after glue up? I’m thinking it would have been better to have glued it up and then sanded it down and finishing it after that. Also, something to reinforce the mitered joints in the front would have probably been good, but they aren’t really supporting any weight so I think they should be fine for this.

Thank you for looking, sorry for being long winded.





3 comments so far

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1899 days


#1 posted 1394 days ago

That ought to work and it looks good.

-- Ohh mann...pancakes and boobies...I'll bet that's what Heaven is like! ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣

View tdv's profile

tdv

1114 posts in 1665 days


#2 posted 1379 days ago

I think you’ve made a great start the joints look good it’s attractive & useful ticks all the boxes
Enjoy lumberjocks it’s a great site to get inspired
God bless
Trevor

-- God created wood that we may create. Trevor East Yorkshire UK

View dakremer's profile

dakremer

2446 posts in 1687 days


#3 posted 1336 days ago

cool project Pawky. I really like the design! Good luck on all of your tests coming up!

-- Hey you dang woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!!!!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase