LumberJocks

Picture Frames

  • Advertise with us
Project by wuddoc posted 05-02-2018 09:50 PM 852 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Our R-tist wood buddy requested four picture frames to house the charcoal sketches she was doing of my wood buddy and his R-tist wife grandkids.

We selected Alder as it is a softer hardwood thus allowing for easier sanding. Also we were going to paint these black and wanted a smoother look without adding filler.

After she selected the picture frame profile we ordered the in-stock knives from William & Hussey. This is a two knife set #2558 for wood ¾” x 1-3/8” capable of fitting on our older Shop Fox Moulder.

Once we ripped the13/16” thick Alder to width we used our Grizzly 15” wide belt sander to remove the mill marks and reduce the thickness to ¾”. We set-up the Moulder and ran 120 lineal feet of ¾” x 1-3/8” Alder. To remove the knife marks the flap sander from our Grizzly G8749 Drum / Flap sander unit was used.

We returned to the table saw and created a Rabbet the entire length of each 10’ section on what would become the back internal side of the picture frame. Using a Klingspor Abrasives Gold Sand Mop 1”x 4” 120 Grit in the drill press we removed the fuzz along each rabbet.

The rabbet required was 3/8” x 3/8” to accommodate the glass, picture, mat, and foam backing board. This entire material sandwich had to be below the back of the Alder by 3/32” to hold the material sandwich in place when we inserted Woodworkers Supply #800-816 framer points. They were to be inserted by the Woodworkers Supply #800-815 Fletcher picture frame point driver at a later date.

The next step was determining the length of the individual frame sections and cutting a 45 degree angle at each end using our Miter Saw. To make sure we had a smooth and true 45 degree angle we also used our Grizzly G1690 Miter Trimmer.

Once we determined we had tight joints we used the Woodworkers Supply, Woodtek ® 160-490 Picture Frame Jig in conjunction with the Woodtek® 148-268 Picture Frame pneumatic corner “V” Nailer. Then along with glue, two 3/8” V nails designed for hardwood were inserted at each corner to fasten the frame sections

together.

The units were painted black, glass cleaned, mat set in along with the picture and finally foam board. Framer points were driven to hold the material sandwich in place. Once this was completed to keep out dust Kraft paper was taped to the rear. Finally picture wire was attached to two Heavy Duty Single Hole D Ring / Triangle Strap Hangers from Amazon.

End result

Pictures hung and Wood Buddies happy.

-- Wuddoc





5 comments so far

View Kelster58's profile

Kelster58

670 posts in 709 days


#1 posted 05-02-2018 11:46 PM

Looks great….very nice work. I’ve got to get one of those miter trimmers.

-- K. Stone “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

4196 posts in 3745 days


#2 posted 05-03-2018 12:31 AM

Nice job doc.

View woodbutcherbynight's profile

woodbutcherbynight

5588 posts in 2578 days


#3 posted 05-03-2018 01:12 AM

Nice work, interesting jig you have for nailing them together.

-- Live to tell the stories, they sound better that way.

View NormG's profile

NormG

6260 posts in 3173 days


#4 posted 05-03-2018 01:30 AM

Very nice frames

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View ralbuck's profile

ralbuck

5239 posts in 2435 days


#5 posted 05-03-2018 05:50 PM

Very well done on the frames and the portraits too!

-- Wood rescue is good for the environment and me! just rjR

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com