LumberJocks

Dado blade box

  • Advertise with us
Project by Charlie H. posted 05-01-2018 07:37 PM 688 views 2 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Hello and thanks for looking at my project.
All reports of the Freud dado carrying case insert being cheaper than cheap are totally accurate.
My wife gave me the dado set this past Christmas and the red insert was cracked upon initial opening.
I have been looking for a dado blade project so what could be a better project to break in the dado blade than to throw together a quick & dirty storage box to keep it in??
I didn’t really intend for this to be more than a pine storage box, but when I surveyed the junk wood pile I didn’t really have any that wouldn’t take a lot of effort to beat into workable stock.
After fretting over it for a while I decided to use the soft maple board I had and some of the ambrosia maple.
The alignment posts are 5/8” oak dowel that was manufactured in some metric country so it was perfectly undersized for this application.
I should have probably just used one for the center hole and one for the rotation lock but I started drilling the next thing I knew there were a bunch of holes in the bottom.
The corner splines are red oak.
The blade spacers are 1/8 hard board.
The box is finished with water base polyurethane.
This is the first time I have used the water base finish.
Right now I am not a fan of it but it may just be a case of it being different than the solvent based polyurethane.
It was probably crazy to spend that much time on a storage box, but it kept me from running the streets at night and I got to use the dado set as well as use a new for me finish.
Y’all take care.

-- Regards, Charlie in Rowlett, TX --------I talk to myself, because sometimes I need expert advice.---------





6 comments so far

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

1623 posts in 2495 days


#1 posted 05-01-2018 07:48 PM

Very nice solution to the poor quality of the Freud dado case. I have the same stack and I’ve been babying the case as much as possible but the locking tabs are now broken off so I can’t stand it up in the cabinet. This would be a great solution to the problem.

I’m not a fan of water based finishes either. My experience is that you wind up doing a lot more finish sanding between coats to get the nubs sanded off from the water in the finish and the finish isn’t as durable. I’ll take Arm-R-Seal any time.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

View SirFatty's profile

SirFatty

545 posts in 2359 days


#2 posted 05-01-2018 08:07 PM

Great case idea! I’ve been using water-based for a very long time, without any issues.

-- Visit my blog at dave.spalla.com

View majuvla's profile

majuvla

13051 posts in 3015 days


#3 posted 05-02-2018 06:10 AM

Sure good to see you take care of your tools!

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

View Peteybadboy's profile

Peteybadboy

470 posts in 2097 days


#4 posted 05-02-2018 10:03 AM

I like it

-- Petey

View Charlie H.'s profile

Charlie H.

277 posts in 797 days


#5 posted 05-02-2018 01:44 PM

Thanks to all for the kind words.

-- Regards, Charlie in Rowlett, TX --------I talk to myself, because sometimes I need expert advice.---------

View Rick S.'s profile (online now)

Rick S.

10574 posts in 3180 days


#6 posted 05-02-2018 03:38 PM

Very Nice Indeed Charlie! & Well Done Also!

-- (Rick S.)... "Don't Worry About What People Think! They Don't Do It Very Often Anyway!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com