|Project by Ken90712||posted 09-21-2010 11:37 PM||6703 views||35 times favorited||26 comments|
I just completed my 18” V-Drum sander kit from Stockroom Supply. The kit contained the drum, pulleys, link belt, pillow blocks and mounting brackets as well as plans for the box and top. The box was easy to build and went together fast. I took a little more time on the top because I wanted to get it as flat as possible.
I laminated the top from two sheets of 1/2” MDF and 1 piece Formica on both sides. In hind sight I would have made the top thicker. Reason being, as you cut the clearance for the pulley it makes it to thin so your better of going all the way through. I would have preferred a smaller hole and not looking at the pulley is all.
Stockroom Supply recommends a 1/4 Hp Motor at 1750 RPM’s, the RPM’s are the important part. I upgraded to a grizzly sealed 1/3 Hp for a little more power. I figured I do alot of End Grain Cutting Boards so it couldn’t hurt.
It has a dust port I hook up to my cyclone There is very little heat generated, and not a lot of dust is airborne, it all just falls in the box and gets sucked up.
Thanks for the help Thedane, Spalm, Treeman & Blaccherry.
The guys came up with some neat ideas to enhance the box and gave me good advice. Like the rod and sand paper holders for example.
This is a board sanded with 80 & 100 so far, Man is this going to cut down sanding time! Took me forever to get this done as work keeps getting in the way.
Thx everyone for your help and comments.
-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"