|Project by Radu||posted 09-20-2010 05:32 PM||3626 views||10 times favorited||11 comments|
Finally I got some ZCI for my TS. I have a Craftsman TS that has a thin insert. I used hardboard (masonite) to make the insert. I thought the hardboard would not be stiff enough so I decided to add a piece of 1/2” MDF to fit the inner recess. I cut the two inserts to fit in, then I put the top one in, set some double sided tape on the MDF one and inserted it from the bottom. I got them stuck together and the pulled out. I put some screws in. Then I took them apart, removed the tape and glued them together. I put the screws back in to fit them in the original place and clamped. Once the glue was dry I took the screws out and filled the holes with wood filler (I was going to leave the screws in but I thought it might be better not to have any metal in the vicinity of the blade) and gave it a coat of wax. For the splitter I used a couple of arborite (formica) samples from HD glued together. I cut the insert on this one using the 7 1/4” blade (that’s what I’m using to cut MDF) but even for the 10” blade I need to start with the 7 1/4” blade. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll use set screws for leveling or just some shims. I have 5 sets done – I should be good for a while.