|Project by ChefHDAN||posted 09-12-2010 10:37 PM||1851 views||12 times favorited||10 comments|
Added a picture from over 4 years later to show the depth of color the cherry has aged into. Got the clamps, still no mortising machine yet though, not as desperate a need as I thought.
I had the stock for this project in the shop for almost a year. Comissioned projects, stuff that was “needed” in the house, and other projects kept getting in the way. I managed to get a couple of days together with a weekend away from the JOB and was finally able to get this project out of my head and into pictures. It’s built all from the same tree which was harvested after it fell during hurricane Isabel hit here in Southern MD. This was a challenging project for me and I learned quite a bit of different skills, drawers can be a real PITA with an offset dovetail into the inset piece of stock, I’ll build a box next time and stick the face piece to it. Inlay was not as hard as I thought it would be, but it did take most of an afternoon figuring out the micro adjustments to get a 5mm bit to work with a 6mm inlay strip. Final finish is three coats of BLO & 3 shots of poly. Many thanks to those of you who reassured me that water based poly could be applied over BLO! Oh also decided I needed to buy some 6ft pipe clamps & I have to figure a way to convince my wife that a mortising machine is desperately needed…!
-- I've decided 1 mistake is really 2 opportunities to learn.. learn how to fix it... and learn how to not repeat it