|Project by deucefour||posted 09-12-2010 07:14 PM||7018 views||68 times favorited||18 comments|
First of all thanks to all the LJ’s who have built these and blogged on the process, especially Blake for answering my questions. If someone knows how to add links to Blake and Yorkshire Stewarts sanders, please feel free to do so.
Anyway the goal for me was to build this as good and as cheap as possible. The trial run gave me results accurate within 1/100th over 8 different points measured on a piece of 2×6. You might look at the other sanders posted on this site but I will give you the little things that I learned along the way making this.
First make sure that the drum and sandpaper extend adequately over the edge of the table border, I had the sandpaper unwrap on me because i caught an edge. I only had about 1/4” overhang so I subsequently had to gorilla tape the edge, which some factory sanders require anyway. so now i have a 17 1/2” wide capacity. I had slight damage to the sandpaper and still got great results. also when truing up the drum, be patient, and let the sandpaper cut until it is done cutting, Be patient and check it to make sure it is true to the table. also true the drum again after the coats of epoxy have been applied.
Buying 5/8 rod from a bearing supply company will give you a better rod than you can get from a big box store but it is 4x the cost, I would stick with the cheaper stuff if I ever made another drum. The same goes for the bearings. alot of my cost went for higher dollar bearings and rod
The wood was all scavanged from a buddy and some of it had already been joined with pocket screws, I will be interested to see how well it all holds up. however it seems sturdy now. all other joints were miller dowels and seem very strong. the machine runs very quiet and has little vibration, I plan to build a cart with storage underneath and add some storage under the rear part of the table
I used a 1.5 hp 1725 rpm 110v motor, the pulleys increase the speed to 2200 rpm. The table is 18” wide, and remember the drum is pushing toward the operator, don’t take too big of a bite and you will get good results.
I set it on some bench cookies and seemed to further reduce vibration, I would definatly order the sandpaper/velcro and switch from grizzly, if you call and order one of their “thickness sander conversion kits” it will come with velcro and sandpaper for about the price of one roll of sandpaper. I probably have 300 bucks in parts for this if you dont count glue, epoxey and the other items that should be a staple in a shop.
I do plan on building a belt cover after I trim the shaft. Thanks for looking and if I can build this I know that you can too. also I will be happy to answer any questions but my machine has not stood the test of time yet, however I had contacted blake and he has used his for quite some time and says the he wouldnt change a thing.
Update picture – the last picture is of the guard that I attached, it just uses hinges and a latch, I tried to use 4 rare earth magnets but they were not strong enough to keep the guard in place if bumped.
Thanks for looking.
-- "I gotta have more cowbell"--------Bruce Dickinson