LumberJocks

Maple Corner Cabinet & Walnut Frame

  • Advertise with us
Project by agartzke posted 09-12-2010 12:22 AM 964 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch

I finally got around to posting these old projects! This is the first time I’ve let any of my projects into the wild for comment, so please be nice… but I don’t mind hearing constructive criticism either!

The corner cabinet is made from mostly Hard Maple. The details consist of Bubinga inlays/banding, as well as a bookmatched Bird’s Eye Maple panel on the door. This was my first “official” woodworking project – at least the first one I’m proud of, and was built with a proper set of tools. (The one that qualifies as actually being first is a horrible, horrible big box bought pine “over-toilet” cabinet. The legs are nice and warped and it was built with a mish-mash of tools that were hand me downs from the 70’s)

I did a LOT of learning on the fly with this project. The shelves (prepare yourself…) are made of solid Maple, not plywood. I had NO idea about wood movement when I started. It hasn’t cracked yet, but someday maybe it’ll blow up – that’ll be a great morning… Additionally, there are plenty of “hidden” dados. I like to think of them as “features” that add covert storage coves, but in reality, they’re just messed up cuts that are interior to the project. Lastly, I’d say grain matching is still something I need some work on.

Of course, those are the failures, and I think we’re all hyper-critical about our own failures – ones that wouldn’t even be noticed by others. In fact, most people that see it in person are wowed that I built it, and it serves its every day function quite admirably. By building this project and taking on the challenges of the multitude of angles and such, I pushed my capabilities to (and past) their limits. I know I won’t make the same mistakes again, and it was a most valuable project. The part I think that I did the best work on was the finish itself – General Finishes Seal-a-Cell and Arm-R-Seal – 6 total coats wiped on. It has a soft finish that reflects the light very nicely.

The frame is much simpler, obviously. It consists of entirely Black Walnut, but I built and used a splining jig to reinforce the miters. I used Shellac (boy does that stuff make a wet edge difficult on a frame!) for the finish – maybe 4 coats. Simple project, but rather quick and fun.

Thanks for looking!





1 comment so far

View lightweightladylefty's profile

lightweightladylefty

2747 posts in 2459 days


#1 posted 09-12-2010 04:51 AM

Nice details on your corner cabinet. The bubinga inlay is really eye-catching along with the bird’s eye.

Your spline reinforcement on the walnut frame looks great. Thanks for sharing.

L/W

-- Jesus is the ONLY reason for ANY season.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase