LumberJocks

baby mobile

  • Advertise with us
Project by jamsomito posted 03-22-2018 01:48 AM 339 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Before I start, I had some help from some lumberjocks during this project, much thanks. Thread here: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/252505

My sister-in-law asked if I could make this mobile she found on etsy for her to give to a friend at their baby shower. She would handle the string and sewing little stuffed animals to hang from it. I had just finished the Steve Ramsey razor holder project which was essentially the same thing – a basic bent lamination – just a bit smaller. Thought it sounded fun, so I found some scraps, whipped up a bigger clamping form, resawed some oak I had from an old entertainment center I got for free and broke down myself, glued it up, sanded, finished, and viola! Took about 8 hours LOL. I’m always underestimating how long things take.

Form was from some scrap plywood. It’s about 15 inches in diameter if I recall, it was as big as my scrap would allow.

I lined the inside edges of the form with blue painters tape so I wouldn’t glue the work piece to the form.

I don’t have any pictures of my oak resaws, but they were between 1/16 and 1/8 thick after sanding down the saw marks on both sides. Each bend took 3 pieces.

Gluing these up was so stressful it was comical. The pieces slipped several times and flung glue in my face, I was up to my elbows. But eventually I got it. My form got a little thin on the edges so I added a lateral clamp as well to make sure it didn’t break. I used Titebond 2 since it’s what I had laying around. I was initially a little worried about springback, but I had maybe 1/8” over the whole 15” radius after I took it out of the clamps. I don’t have it on-hand to check long-term stability, unfortunately. But, the shape isn’t critical – it’s a baby mobile.

It was a little tough getting it out of the form… had to beat on it a bit, but eventually it came loose.

Both came out nearly identically

I scraped off most of the glue with a paint scraper. Then it was lots of sanding. This took for-ev-er, mostly because of the glue. But in the end they came out nice. After sanding, I drilled a 1/8” hole on the ends of each piece and they were ready for finish.

Finished with 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal satin.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking!





3 comments so far

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

3826 posts in 710 days


#1 posted 03-22-2018 02:08 AM

you done real good on these bent lamination …..GREAT JOB :<))

-- Tony Reinholds,Pa. REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View oldnovice's profile (online now)

oldnovice

6847 posts in 3365 days


#2 posted 03-22-2018 03:16 AM

Nicely done and looks good for your first bent laminations!
I am sure the baby will love it and, there is no better way to share love than to offer help!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

31068 posts in 2864 days


#3 posted 03-22-2018 07:25 PM

This is a very creative piece and nicely done.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com