|Project by mkrok||posted 09-09-2010 01:32 PM||1579 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
First off, I loved the tutorial. Thank you so much Andy. I followed it to the letter as best I could with the tooling I have. The best part of it was I now have a new sanding platform, medallion templates, lid templates, dead on miters now, a new router table in my saw extention, and a great way to secure the workpiece to my bench using strips of melamie. I guess a tutorial is about learning anyway.
I found the pine board wasting it’s life away as a shelf in a closet. It was the perect size. I laid out the sides and lid just like in the tutorial and now I find myself using this technique out of habit for all my boxes. The medallion is my attempt at resawing and bookmatching. A little sloppy but I got it to work. It was too thin when I finished so I had to laminate a piece of 1/4 plywood to it before I glued it in place. This gave me the thickness but I went a bit crazy with the sanding at the edge. Now I have a plywood ‘accent” in the lid. Keys are walnut and the handle is teak. I used a 3/16 dowel for the hinge pin.
Finish is about 7 coats of spray laquer buffed with finishing wax. Inside has adhesive backed felt. No dividers.
He is right, you can get carried away with the shaping, the back is paper thin. I also got sloppy fitting the lid as you can see.
It was going to go on my desk at work but when I brought it home to finish my wife fell in love with it. First thing she said was, “Wow, thats a beautiful box. Its like art, not the stuff you normally make.” It is now in my bedroomprotecting her cell phone and keys.
It not as nice as the master’s but I had lots of fun with this. Thanks again Andy. I have some nicer wood I’m going to experiment with next after.
Thanks for reading this.
-- Michael, South Florida, http://www.MallardSolutions.com