|Project by spamfilterman||posted 09-09-2010 05:12 AM||3367 views||10 times favorited||24 comments|
My tv stand is finally done. It took a lot longer than I had hoped, but I think I’m happy with the results. This is easily my biggest and most ambitious project so far.
The majority of the box is mahogany plywood. The top is a solid mahogany glue-up. The drawer boxes are birch ply, and the back panels are also ply. This thing is dang heavy.
I used the self-closing/easy-closing undermount sliders for the drawers. They’re stupid expensive, but they’re awesome. You can’t really see them, and they’re really smooth.
The wood for the top has some nice character. I had trouble taking a good picture of it. It is the first glue-up I have attempted.
The drawer fronts took some time to make. As you can see, a wooden lip forms the drawer pull. I went through a few pieces of sandpaper on those. :-)
The finish is a couple coats of natual Watco danish oil, followed by some coats of Arm-r-Seal.
Thanks to my friends who helped me.