|Project by Raftermonkey||posted 09-07-2010 05:44 PM||1468 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
Small project for my sister and brother in/law gone awry. I built them a two car garage and a mud room last year, but they couldn’t decide on the steps they wanted coming out side of the mud room. They finally decided, so I got started. They showed me a magazine that had a pic of some they liked, and I was pretty excited because of the simplicity of them. (working for family, you have to get in and get out as fast as possible,haha.) Everything was going great and pretty quick. I got my three boxes (treads) built and turned my attention to my posts. Here is where it went south in a hurry. I started digging my first hole and at 12” “clunk”, I hit something. Ok, stairs that will see very little use will be ok in 12” of concrete. I started digging my middle hole and at 9” “clunk”. This time I uncovered what looked like a gas line sticking straight up. My posts were only about 2’ apart so I dug a trench from my first hole to the second in hopes of digging what ever this was out. I kept on digging and the more I dug, the bigger this object was. Come to find out it was a 500 gallon gas tank filled with 400 gallons of kerosene/water mix. I got it all pumped out cut most of the top out and filled it with dirt. Ugghhh, I still haven’t found a shovel that fits my hands,haha. It was smooth sailing from then on. We’re still researching why there has been a gas tank buried in their yard for over 75 yrs. You can’t really tell from the pics but every board in these steps was routed to soften them up and add a little character. They’re happy with their new steps and I’m happy to be done with them, the steps that is,haha. Its not really “fine woodworking” but thought I’d share anyway.
-- -Zeke- "I hate to rush off, but I gotta go see a man about a log"