|Project by Andrew||posted 09-06-2010 04:36 PM||1639 views||3 times favorited||14 comments|
Well Here it is. Everyone in the Family now has a quality Dresser, 3 of wich were made by me, 2 were handed down. I think I am finished with dressers for a few years. This is like the one I made out of Cherry for myself, it has all mortise and tennon joinery, doors on the sides, and hand cut dovetails. Special thanks to Marc and Gary K, for advise on finishing mohagany. My recipe….
Dye, for me I used Black, red, blue and yellow to acheive this color. Second step is to rub down with boiled linseed oil, and sand in with wet dry 600 grit, by hand. This step creates a slurry that fills the pores. Next let dry for 3 4 days, and wipe it down with a dry, clean sock that has a hole in the heel. next seal with amber shellac, give a light sanding when its dry. next one cut of 1/2 strength poly, ( semi gloss cut with mineral spirits) 2 full strength coat of poly, and one more 1/2 cut of poly. Then go ahead and wipe it out with a clean dry sock that has a hole in the heel.
On a personal note, I know I haven’t been around for a while, but I have visited the sight every day, just to check things out, I have been super busy, just didn’t have time to leave comments. This is my last peice of furniture for a while. I will be moving back into turning when my newest project ( last picture) allows.
My garage has been converted into a mechanical garage, away from woodworking, however I can say all major tools are accessable.
-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns