|Project by Spoontaneous||posted 09-06-2010 12:51 AM||1809 views||2 times favorited||13 comments|
This turned out to be 2 projects instead of one, the second having sort of evolved out of the first. I’m glad to be done with both of them.
The original idea was to glue up a block of wooden matches to create a ‘black and white’ image. The burnt end of the match sticks would provide the black against a background of the lighter, non-burnt wood. I searched the internet for a pair of eyes that I liked and then used a graphics software to edit more to my liking. I also used the software to determine the final size and match count by counting the pixels H x W.
The project called for a little over 10,000 matchsticks but problems with the whole panel warping required some matches being cut off. I suppose now it still has at least 9,360 or there abouts. THANKS to some of the LumberJocks for advising me on the warping problem. I was quite frustrated at the time and not sure I would have carried on without their input.
About midway through this project I had lost interest and laid the whole thing aside. I had plenty of the match box ‘drawers’ lying around and so I started painting some of them with an inexpensive acrylic paint set that I picked up a couple of years ago. It started looking like a mosaic so I just kept moving with it… painting a couple here and there after work and on weekends.
I was hoping to make the final panel approximately 5’ x 3’ but after a while I became more interested in my next project than this one (or two). So I stopped at 450 match boxes and settled for something a little shy of 4’ x 3’. I framed it with some cheap (but not inexpensive) Home Depot trim and since the ‘paintings’ are wedged in pretty tight I didn’t glue them. This allows me to change the order around if I ever had a mind to. My wife and daughter both painted 3 or 4 boxes each, so I can’t claim all the glory… or blame.
When you live in a condo and the dining room table is your shop… this is what you come up with.
-- I just got done cutting three boards and all four of them were too short. (true story)