LumberJocks

Tea Box

  • Advertise with us
Project by IantheTinker posted 03-05-2018 02:39 AM 890 views 1 time favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a tea box that I made for my wife a while back, over a year ago actually. It was the second box with splines that I made, it was also the last time I used splines, lol. I like splines, and they are easy to do, I just haven’t had another use for them since this box.

The wood is something I couldn’t identify, but the scent reminded me of cedar, the splines are walnut, and the bottom, lid, and dividers are all a composite board from the bottom of an old drawer. The hinges do not match the latch because I was using what I had on hand. This was also my first time chiseling out a recess for the hinges to sit in. I made the box and then cut it open on the table saw, making the bottom and the lid. Something must have been misaligned or untrue somewhere because my cuts didn’t line up quite correctly, but I was able to sand them out a bit and it all lines up alright.

Thanks for taking a look.

-- opiningminnesotan.com





4 comments so far

View Rich's profile

Rich

3882 posts in 791 days


#1 posted 03-05-2018 05:04 AM

Nice box. I like the contrasting splines. Doing the double depth mortise for the hinge on only one side is a cool trick I see on lots of antique pieces. Smart move.

Getting the lid cut off without any misaligned cuts is a bear. One trick that helps is to keep around some splines that exactly match the kerf of the blade and insert them to keep the lid and base from closing up on you when you get around to the final cuts. My boxes pretty much always need some flattening on that cut, so I keep some 80 grit paper glued to MDF to do the work.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View IantheTinker's profile

IantheTinker

261 posts in 329 days


#2 posted 03-05-2018 05:40 PM

Thank you, Rich. The double deep mortise for the hinge was to a solid misaligning mortises in both the bottom and top, I had no idea it was something commonly done in antique furniture (a happy coincidence!). I now keep a a few grits of sandpaper glued to blocks for sanding out those issues as well. However, I do forget to keep spline cutoffs as spacers for future boxes and whatnot. I will have to try harder to remember in the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

-- opiningminnesotan.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

32087 posts in 3068 days


#3 posted 03-05-2018 10:39 PM

It’s a very nice box. Nice work!

helluvawreck aka Charles
http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

3599 posts in 2179 days


#4 posted 03-05-2018 11:04 PM

Nice box buddy! I also assemble boxes then cut the top off. Most of the time it works great but I did one box that must have had some stress. When I cut the top off, I never got it to seat right. Had to start over. Wonderful job on this.

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com