LumberJocks

Birthday box

  • Advertise with us
Project by hairy posted 02-28-2018 03:49 PM 655 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a fun little piece. It had a few challenges, but that’s what makes it interesting.

I found out that I need to use a brad point bit to drill this way. I used a regular 1/8” bit here, and it skated on me. That won’t happen again.

I only had to make 3 jigs, and modify another. I’m calling that good. 2 are generic that will come in handy a lot.

A small bandsaw crosscut sled,

and a round workpiece holder for the drillpress.

I’m not the best at turning a sphere, so I cheated.

It actually fits better , I had the jig in 1 hand and a camera in the other.

I spent way more than 1 hour setting this up, and maybe 1 minute to drill all 4 holes.

I wouldn’t mind keeping it. I like having company when I’m working.

10” tall x 5” diameter x 6 & 1/2 ” across.

Basswood body, maple arms and legs, push pin eyes. 1/8” brass rod antennae.

Rattle can finish, Rustoleum Flourescent green and Minwax lacquer.

-- My reality check bounced...





12 comments so far

View jamsomito's profile

jamsomito

164 posts in 450 days


#1 posted 02-28-2018 03:58 PM

This is awesome, nice job!

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

1120 posts in 2372 days


#2 posted 02-28-2018 06:48 PM

You have to name it. Definitely some ingenuity and creative approaches to figuring it. I like it.

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

View doubleDD's profile

doubleDD

7435 posts in 2067 days


#3 posted 02-28-2018 07:35 PM

I like this little guy, he gave me a smile. I agree, you should give him a name.

-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.

View Scott Oldre's profile

Scott Oldre

1052 posts in 3455 days


#4 posted 02-28-2018 11:25 PM

Nice set of how you did it pics. The result is awesome!

-- Scott, Irmo SC

View jeffswildwood's profile

jeffswildwood

3230 posts in 2001 days


#5 posted 03-01-2018 12:09 AM

Now that is nice. Well done!

-- We all make mistakes, the trick is to fix it in a way that says "I meant to do that".

View htl's profile

htl

3910 posts in 1183 days


#6 posted 03-01-2018 01:39 AM

Nice project and it’s a lot bigger than I first thought.

-- Learn More About Making Wooden Models. An Index Of My Model making Blogs. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

View hairy's profile

hairy

2718 posts in 3556 days


#7 posted 03-01-2018 03:01 AM

Thanks!

-- My reality check bounced...

View majuvla's profile

majuvla

12416 posts in 2891 days


#8 posted 03-01-2018 10:11 AM

Funny little guy. Amaizing and very demanding and complicated process.

-- Ivan, Croatia, Wooddicted

View Woodknack's profile

Woodknack

11774 posts in 2404 days


#9 posted 03-02-2018 02:17 AM

Fun project.

-- Rick M, http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/

View oldnovice's profile

oldnovice

6896 posts in 3391 days


#10 posted 03-02-2018 05:09 AM

Nice project, got to keep this in mind for one of my future ones!
You really nailed this Android even down to the color.

Do you have the dimensions as the proportions you used look perfect!

-- "I never met a board I didn't like!"

View hairy's profile

hairy

2718 posts in 3556 days


#11 posted 03-02-2018 01:59 PM


Do you have the dimensions as the proportions you used look perfect!

- oldnovice

Thanks! I downloaded several pics at different angles for reference. To get the dimensions and proportions, I just sat down with the pics and a set of dividers to get the relationship in size of the different parts.

I had a 5”x 5” x 24” length spindle blank of kiln dried basswood. It’s perfect for jobs like this. I started with a 10” long piece, that was enough for the head and body, with enough left over to hold in a chuck on each end.

I used the 1/3 – 2/3 ratio for the head and body. That’s usually what I use for turned boxes, and in this case it matched what I got from the original. I made those proportions fit the piece I had to work with. So that left 2 and 1/2” for the top x 5” for the body. Using this formula, the width of the stock dictated the rest of the proportions.

-- My reality check bounced...

View Cliff 's profile

Cliff

1220 posts in 1747 days


#12 posted 03-03-2018 01:47 AM

Good Project Hairy.

The Progress Photos were also well presented.

Regards,

Cliff.

-- Cliff Australia : Snoring is good. It blows away all the Sawdust.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com