|Project by StevenAntonucci||posted 09-01-2010 02:55 PM||3206 views||2 times favorited||24 comments|
Some shots from the last two hats…
Shavings pile up quickly. The goal is to get the wood balanced as quickly as possible, so that I can get to this point as quickly as possible. I roughed the hat round with a chainsaw, and then put it on a small faceplate. From the time it was on the chainsaw to this point is 10-15 minutes and I only used a swept back grind 1/2 bowl gouge. If I had a bigger lathe, I think I could get to this point in 5 minutes.
After reversing the roughed out hat, I cut the rim to about 50/1000ths. This is done by using a light from behind the wood to pass light through the wood. You gauge thickness by the color of the light. Red is at least 1/8” (125/1000ths), orange is probably 80/1000ths. pale yellow is around 50/1000ths. White is 0/1000ths and hat pieces flying everywhere…
Still not sure what happened with hat #5? I reverse them against the cole jaws to cut the tops. I think this one flexed out of the tailstock point and it tore off one of the jaws (it was missing a screw, and was probabaly loose). it would have probably been a pretty good hat, since I got a good look at the cross section and it was pretty even.
My son Luca models hat #6. I think the crown is too big for the scale of the brim, but at 50/1000ths, there’s no room to recut it. The first hat that I made was 7.6 oz when it was dry. This one was 5.6 oz before I oiled it. I think I can make one under 5 ozs.
The hat has been oiled with mineral oil to bring out the ambrosia pattern. one light coal of Poly spray to keep it from getting finger prints and the oil should make it not only look better, but somewhat water repellent. like the other 5, it doesn’t fit me. I think I need to make a hat press to force them into final shape. Maple doesn’t move enough along the grain to accomodate my head. It will need to be carefully “squished”. As you can see from the brim, the maple can be bent when wet, and will hold shape when it dries in that bent position. Some light sanding is all that is left here…
Questions and comments welcome