LumberJocks

Wall of Cabinets including Gun Cabinet Center

  • Advertise with us
Project by mosin posted 02-02-2018 12:06 PM 912 views 1 time favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I needed to increase the storage in our office bedroom.
Instead of trying to find a ready solution I decided to try and build something.
This was my first large project, and it turned out pretty good.

I actually used high quality maple plywood for the construction and maple for door frames. (is plywood frowned upon?)





14 comments so far

View Hazem's profile

Hazem

151 posts in 1245 days


#1 posted 02-02-2018 04:27 PM

Mosin, this is your FIRST big project? Wow, amazing job. Looks great.

Plywood is not frowned upon. It makes sense to use it for the body of the cabinet. It would cost a fortune to build the whole thing out of solid wood. Plus, plywood is more stable than solid wood (does not shrink and expand as much).

View mosin's profile

mosin

27 posts in 110 days


#2 posted 02-02-2018 04:39 PM


Mosin, this is your FIRST big project? Wow, amazing job. Looks great.

Plywood is not frowned upon. It makes sense to use it for the body of the cabinet. It would cost a fortune to build the whole thing out of solid wood. Plus, plywood is more stable than solid wood (does not shrink and expand as much).

- Hazem

Thank you. Yes, I know it was ambitious, but go big or go home, right? ;) it was my third woodworking project overall. I showed it on my Youtube channel and one of the viewers recommended I stop by here and post it. It was built right there in the room but I made sure the top sections can separate from the bottom so I can move it when we do move.

Before this I built a little work cabinet for myself. Not having a shop really makes it difficult to work on big stuff. ;)

I will probably post that little cabinet project too (that design is different from the cabinets in this project), and I think I have pictures of the Carved Dog Bowl Stand at work so I will post that one later today.

Igor.

View pottz's profile

pottz

2597 posts in 981 days


#3 posted 02-02-2018 05:55 PM

new huh!thats pretty damn impressive work for a newbie,i cant wait too see what youll be doing in a few years.fantastic job,glad too have you here.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View gargey's profile

gargey

979 posts in 772 days


#4 posted 02-02-2018 06:14 PM

wow

View mosin's profile

mosin

27 posts in 110 days


#5 posted 02-02-2018 07:56 PM


new huh!thats pretty damn impressive work for a newbie,i cant wait too see what youll be doing in a few years.fantastic job,glad too have you here.

- pottz

I actually learned quite a bit during the first cabinet/workbench project, and bought some tools (Kreg pocket hole system) and a tiny router table to attach my router to. Also a compressor and a nail gun…

Then, having all that stuff I figured why not solve the other problem (storage). Discovered Google Sketchup and planned it all in that using exact dimensions I needed

So it was easy to create a cut diagram for plywood. I made lists of all the pieces and was checking them off when the 4×8 sheets were getting cut. I used high grade plywood so it cost quite a bit (about $80 per sheet if I remember correctly). Then came the time to cut all the pocket holes that I planned to be on the outsides of each cabinet, assemble, decorate, stain and finish.

The most difficult part of this project was the center cabinet with the protrusion, but that was all math (regarding angles), and the hinges. They weren’t closing flat so I had to play with inletting a bit.

I am not new to working with my hands, just new to woodworking. My hobbies have always revolved around me making stuff – started with drawing, went to sculpting, metalworking (knives), jewelry making (for a very short time), carving little things (with the knives I made for the knives I was making), wood burning (just decorative designs). Eventually I moved to US and got introduced to guns. Guns for me wrapped everything I liked to do in one neat package where I could produce wood and metal dust.

This lead me to need these projects I am posting here. And now to smithing. I picked up leather tooling on the way. Still would like to learn to carve wood, weld steel, engrave steel, etc.

Some of my non-wood-related hobbies:

sculpting (Yes, I am kind of an Alien (the movie) fan)

leather tooling (this mat is actually in a lot of my Youtube videos)


View mosin's profile

mosin

27 posts in 110 days


#6 posted 02-02-2018 08:03 PM



wow

- gargey

Thank you. Oh, I actually just realized I built another bench for leatherworking (the one that stone block is sitting on in the pictures), but I don’t think I have any pics of that one. and I don’t want to take any now because it is all sorts of messy.

View Rick's profile

Rick

9596 posts in 3029 days


#7 posted 02-02-2018 08:17 PM

Very Nice & Well Done! Welcome to LJ’s!

-- LIFE is what happens when you're planning on doing Other Things!

View pottz's profile

pottz

2597 posts in 981 days


#8 posted 02-02-2018 08:24 PM

im looking at your sculpture and leather work-wow.some are a jack of all trades and a master of none.you are a jack of all trades and a master of all!what cant you do well? your craftsmanship is just incredible.

-- sawdust the bigger the pile the bigger my smile-larry,so cal.

View mosin's profile

mosin

27 posts in 110 days


#9 posted 02-02-2018 09:02 PM


Very Nice & Well Done! Welcome to LJ s!

- Rick

Thank you. Glad to be here. Will be browsing for a bit. I think I now posted everything I had, so now it is onto the looking at other people’s projects. :)


im looking at your sculpture and leather work-wow.some are a jack of all trades and a master of none.you are a jack of all trades and a master of all!what cant you do well? your craftsmanship is just incredible.

- pottz

You are too kind. I definitely have a lot to learn. Once I have more space I can open up to more of everything so I anticipate more projects in woodworking. Carving is what I want to learn the most. Because I want to build furniture that my wife would love. Sculpting doesn’t smell as nice as woodworking. :D

View mbs's profile

mbs

1656 posts in 2937 days


#10 posted 02-03-2018 12:13 AM

You did a great job! it is beautiful!

-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.

View TungOil's profile

TungOil

933 posts in 492 days


#11 posted 02-03-2018 01:10 AM

Looks great and plywood is the preferred material for cabinet carcasses for sure. Well done!

-- The optimist says "the glass is half full". The pessimist says "the glass is half empty". The engineer says "the glass is twice as big as it needs to be"

View mosin's profile

mosin

27 posts in 110 days


#12 posted 02-03-2018 04:46 AM



You did a great job! it is beautiful!

- mbs


Looks great and plywood is the preferred material for cabinet carcasses for sure. Well done!

- TungOil

Thank you both.

View Calmudgeon's profile

Calmudgeon

141 posts in 1424 days


#13 posted 02-05-2018 06:51 AM

That’s some pretty impressive work for an early project. Then, again, I’ve always maintained that 80% of finishing work is just giving a $#!+ about the outcome; the other 20% is skill and the right tools. It’s obvious from your other work that you take great care in the outcome.

I’d love to see a close-up of the crown moulding detail. Was that a pre-fabbed moulding or something you fashioned yourself?

As for your question about plywood, for built-in units, it’s really the only thing that makes sense, financially and structurally. Stand-alone furniture may be another matter.

Anyway, nice work. Enjoy that added storage and the feeling of satisfaction every time you look at it.

-- "As are the things we make, so are we ourselves." - Lin Yutang

View mosin's profile

mosin

27 posts in 110 days


#14 posted 02-05-2018 08:40 AM



That s some pretty impressive work for an early project. Then, again, I ve always maintained that 80% of finishing work is just giving a $#!+ about the outcome; the other 20% is skill and the right tools. It s obvious from your other work that you take great care in the outcome.

I d love to see a close-up of the crown moulding detail. Was that a pre-fabbed moulding or something you fashioned yourself?

As for your question about plywood, for built-in units, it s really the only thing that makes sense, financially and structurally. Stand-alone furniture may be another matter.

Anyway, nice work. Enjoy that added storage and the feeling of satisfaction every time you look at it.

- Calmudgeon

Thank you very much. The moudling was all pre-fab.
My wife was the one in charge of picking it and I worked my dimensions for tops of cabinets to that moulding. Since its back was 45 degree relief cut I added support triangles every 12” to make sure the moulding wouldn’t want to warp or sag. Not sure if it was necessary and perhaps I overthought it a bit, but the molding is attached pretty sturdily.

The lower lever tops have corner moudling under the top and edge moulding on the edge.

Hacksawing all that moulding was a ton of fun especially for the angles of the center cabinet.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com