|Project by jistincase||posted 1302 days ago||3852 views||3 times favorited||14 comments|
This is a project that I found most satisfying and challenging. This is made after a picture that I found in a magazine that I do hope to sell one day. The wood that I used is from an old grain silo that was built in the 1930’s. It is old growth Douglas fir that forestry experts estimate to be about 500 years old. The growth rings on this wood are amazing and beautiful. The entire desk, with the exception of the two accents strips in the front lid are all from the same wood, even the drawer bottoms. The accent strips made out of black walnut were added because I goofed a little and the gap was going to be to big and my wife suggested that I add something to it to fill in the gap and I just happened to have that lying around.
The sides of the desk have box joint construction as well as the drawers. The moldings are also made from the same wood as are the legs which are laminated and then tapered on 2 sides. The bottoms of the drawers are 1/4 inch that I glued together and then planed down to the proper thickness.
The wood being kiln dried when it was used was extremely hard and straight as an arrow. Douglas fir does have the propensity to splinter into dagger like slivers while working with it so I had to be very careful handling it. I tired to leave as many of the original nail holes that I could to give it that sense of a prudent farmer of the day that might reuse some perfectly good wood for their project. The surface where you would write was filled with clear epoxy so pen and pencils would not poke through the paper or cause uneven writing.
The finish was accomplished with amber shellac. First a coat went on then I took a black walnut gel stain and wiped it over the surface and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I went back and wiped off the excess except it the areas that might collect dirt over time to give it that old look. After that had dried for a day I went back over with a couple more coats of amber shellac. Although I really like the look of the shellac it is really had to work with as it dries so fast and I was using premixed and could not find any retarder to slow the drying time.
All in all this was a very painstaking and long process but the results are there for you to see.
-- If it doesn't work we will always wished it had.