|Project by hairy||posted 08-12-2010 08:15 PM||1087 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
This was supposed to be something else. Once I got into this, I found a big crack that was not visible before cutting this blank out of the block. This is the product of the blank in my review : http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1573
Once I got it roughed out, I realized that crack was worse than I thought. Back to the bandsaw. My 17” blank became a 12 & 1/2” bowl. I’m hating to think about throwing away that cutoff, but I can’t figure out what it’s good for. Any ideas? The block was kiln dried.
Once I got it to this size, the crack was now a scratch that wouldn’t go away. I pencilled all kinds of designs over it trying to come up with a plan to hide it. I finally drew a pencil line on the crack, and repeated that line around the bowl. It turned out to be about another 1/8 ” to 3/16” deep. The groove took care of it, it’s not inside the bowl.
I made this doughnut chuck to clean up the bottom. There is one thing I did differently on this piece. It was always in a chuck or faceplate until applying finish on the bottom. It started on a faceplate, I turned a tenon on the bottom when I turned the outside. I used the live center adapter to attach a chuck on the tenon, then reversed it. The doughnut was the last step.
I’ve got this thing about having to use all of the wood possible. It’s a sickness. I hate turning nice wood into dust and chips. I need help.
I only sanded it to 320, because it will get used. It might become a place to put the mail,maybe dinner rolls, we shall see .
12 and 1/2” x 5 ” Mohawk finish
-- on Wednesday's I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea...