|Project by KTMM (Krunkthemadman) aka. Lucas Crenshaw||posted 08-12-2010 07:55 PM||6985 views||28 times favorited||15 comments|
This is my version of a table saw workstation which is set up for my specific needs….
Building this has been bittersweet to say the least.
To begin with, I took all the needed measurements of the saw and space needed to install the router table. I used sketchup to draw the entire thing up and plan out cutlists and such. This was fun, being the first time I’ve really made anything in sketchup. The base was made to fix two problems that I had, 1) I wanted a router table that could put the Incra to use, and 2) I was hoping to add stability to the table saw and provide a place to store all the table saw accessories.
Let me start by saying that I didn’t cut anything too short in the building of this project, which is a first for me. But, that is only good to a certain point. I originally built the base using two 2’x6’ sheets of plywood, screwed to a 2×4 frame with casters at either end. This lasted until I “demonstrated” it’s sturdiness to a friend by jumping on it, (at the time all 210 lbs of me) which managed to splinter the frame at both ends. I think my ego was hurt more than anything at this point, and back to the drawing board I went. I contrived using more screws, a jug of Titebond, and even a healthy dose of duct tape. In the end I just decided that four 6’ lengths of 1-1/4 angle iron strapped to the base would be more than enough to keep the base from flexing. I attached these with a handful (think Grizzman handful) of lagbolts excessively torqued in good woodbutchering fashion. I invited my friend back over and we both proceeded to stomp the base to our hearts content, this time, it held.
The next step was the cabinetry, originally there were going to be two cabinets. The one you see on the end, and the one in the center. I built and installed the one on the center, it was made of MDF. This wound up making the base too heavy, and after sitting for a minute or two, it would “settle” into the wood floor of the shop. Long story short, I had to remove it to be able to move the saw and base.
The final problem came with the router table extension. I cut, glued, and laminated it. The thing is made of two 3/4 sheets of MDF glued together. IT IS HEAVY. It wasn’t until I had it installed that I realized I should check the deflection of the top. Luckily the router side is perfect up until just behind the mounting plate. The part of the extension where it mounts to the saw is deflected about 1/16th of an inch downward on either side. (At the front and back of the saw). I’ve learned to live with it.
Also, I had planned to put doors on the router table part, but I realized that in my small shop they wouldn’t open very well if I moved the saw towards the opposite wall. It was at this point I decided this was finished.
At this point I have plans for a new and improved version of this…....
OH YEAH, I forgot to mention, the router extension is not supported by the incra rails. I didn’t believe that the granite on the saw could support the weight by itself. So on the router table side, I put three 3/8 in threaded inserts in the top of the cabinet, and ran some bolts from the bottom up. Instant stability and micro-adjustability. The original center cabinet had 6 more adjusters in it. It made. leveling the extension up a breeze.
-- Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Vince Lombardi