LumberJocks

High School Home Ec Room Kitchen Remodel

  • Advertise with us
Project by tooldad posted 1357 days ago 2157 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

The home ec room at the high school where I teach was in need of new cabinets. This all started off intended to be a class project. I was told the cost of $2800 was high in the administration’s opinion. I told them that yes indeed it could be done cheaper with store bought cabinets. However we would use 3/4” prefinished maple ply for the box construction and dovetail all the drawer boxes. That was September/October.

May rolled around and out of the blue I was asked what it would take to get the kitchens redone over the summer. I said all 5 would be out of the question, 2 or 3 of the kitchens would be doable with help. Now lumber had gone up a little, and they were willing to pay labor. The cost of each kitchen was now $5000. They said go ahead and do 2 of them. Go figure.

6 weeks later, working 25-30 hours each week. Basically 9-3, M-Th, we got it done. Ran into a few surprises along the way, plumbing and electrical that needed to be moved. It was also on a block wall, so the countertop had to have a boxed backsplash to accommodate.

Flat panel doors with concealed hinges, golden oak stain (actually called #252 from the supplier we use). Prefinished 3/4” maple ply for the cases. Solid oak face frames pocket screwed together. Prefinished drawer sides, dovetailed on front corners and rabbeted back corners with prefinished 1/4” ply bottoms. Locks installed on all doors and drawers.

The oak wall that is shown in the 2nd pic is taken from the doorway to the room. Originally it was just going to be a sheet of 3/4” oak plywood. We knew it need a little more. As I was figuring out the dimensions for the frame and panel look, the idea of a logo in the middle came to me.

Found out that lacquer and vinyl don’t work so well together AFTER spraying the decal with lacquer. 20 min later it was all bubbled up. Had to scrape it off, resand, refinish, get a new decal, then use water based poly. There is so much poly on the wall, you can barely feel the decal.

Obviously the last pic is what we started with. That pic makes them look good. Basically they were rusted, cheap drawer slides, metal cabinets that were bent, dinged up, didn’t function properly, ect.





5 comments so far

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

657 posts in 2217 days


#1 posted 1357 days ago

PS. There is actually 2 identical kitchens, I just posted pics of one. 12 doors per kitchen, 10 drawers and 20 locks each! It took as much time to install the hardware as it did to install the cabinets! Talk about space for finishing too!

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8473 posts in 2151 days


#2 posted 1357 days ago

very cool. Thanks for posting- after you mentioned of this build in a recent thread I was curious to see what it entailed – quite a project considering the magnitude of it all.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View tooldad's profile

tooldad

657 posts in 2217 days


#3 posted 1357 days ago

by the way, I DIDN’T pick the paint color. Leave that up to home ec teachers, go figure!

View janice's profile

janice

1079 posts in 1927 days


#4 posted 1356 days ago

Wow, what a great project. They turned out nice. And to do them for the school you work at most make you feel pretty darn good.

-- Janice

View jim1953's profile

jim1953

2641 posts in 2344 days


#5 posted 1355 days ago

Great Lookin Job

-- Jim, Kentucky

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase